Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephant Trunk Ha + RGB

vdb

Yes, I know I'm not original:

this is data taken with 3 sets:

- +- 4 hours canon 40D + nikon 300mm lens (last year taken in south of france)

- +- 8 hours Tak 85 met reducer en ATIK 4000 en Ha 7nm equipment of Olly (last year taken at Olly's site)

- +- 4 hours Tak 85 met H35 en Ha 7nm (at Olly's site with full moon this year)

RGB is the canon data, luminance is the combined Ha data,

Olly gave some tips. I'm sure it can use more treatment but I'm not the patience type.

IC1396-rgb-Ha-s.jpg

Hope you like it,

Yves.

HI Yves,

There is lots of contrast and detail that looks good sharpened, well done on a good image. 12 hours of Ha is an impressive catch.

My only criticism is that it just looks a little pink to me, how did you blend in the Ha to the image. I would normally use the Ha as a lighten blend into the Red channel. How I set the opacity depends on taste really, but generally I [robably have it about 100%

Tom.

Thanks Tom,

yes maybe it is a bit to pink, here I just used the Ha as luminance layer on top of the rgb layer as 100% and luminosity, I did process each layer accordingly like for example sharpening on the luminance ...

I played with saturation and color balance in PS on the rgb layer, I could probably reduce the pink side of it ...

Yves.

That's pretty darned exciting. The ionization fronts around the trunk are just superb. I agree with Tom on using the Ha in red. It would be worth a try but the usual problems when using Ha as luminance don't seem to be showing here. (No blue haloes around stars.) I'd consider this a success, Yves!

Olly

Archived