SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What scope next?

Hi Guy's,

Just wondering what scope to get too replace the one i had(skywatcher 8") should think around 350 quid would get me something better?

Planets and deepsky of course  :clouds1: dont mind secondhand...

What ya think?

James

Yeah i have seen a 10" version of my old Skywatcher for 295gbp inc tube rings on Plusar website been pondering that...F/5 again so with the extra light gathering of 56% could well be worth it..

Yes Gaz i aint letting the Sods(dont wanna swear) get me down and beat! :clouds1: Stiff upper lip and all that..

James :clouds1:

Yeah sounds just right! I may give him a call sometime over the weekend just gonna look around and see whats on offer quite fancy a 80ED but no point when i like planetry imaging so much just wont get the magnifcation i like with it, great for deep sky though i reakon.

James

I know I'm going to get my head bit off for saying this (easy guys!  :clouds1:) but small refractors make great second scopes, you should always have a 'big gun' around as your first scope!! :clouds1:

....ducks for cover....  :whip2: :whip2: :clouds1:

I'll watch your back Gaz ... cuz I agree :tongue1:

Steve

James,

I have that scope and plan putting it on a GEQ (any advice Gaz .. please 8))

Steve

Hi Steve,

Im sure you know what class of mount you'll need for the scope (HEQ5+), one thing I would do is buy a second set of rings (cheapos will do), so you can undo the 'proper set' and rotate the scope easily without risking the scope falling down. The eyepiece on my EQ6 can get into some really awkward positions.

Gaz

Hi James,

The Sigma 70-300 lens you are getting with 300D has the same focal length as the ST80 and suffers far less with chromatic abberation. I wonder if there's another scope you could go for that won't overlap with the Sigma lens. Perhaps something with a focal length around the 600-750 mark.

Russ

Hi Russ,

You know i forgot about that Len's matey sorry, good point Russ thinking about now i will give the second scope a miss and concerntrate on the Skywatcher 8". Use the Sigma Lens for wide field work and bigger DSO's and use the 8" Scope for planets i like the Skywatcher seem to get good planetry results with it and it's easy to use on the smaller Dso's ie:M57 etc etc.

I was thinking of a 10" reflector but it's just going to be uncofortable for me to use ie: the focussers height for the camera and extra size...

Cheers

James(Cant wait for the camera lol )

Archived