Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Planetary Camera?

step_hen

Hi folks

I'm in the market for a new planetary camera at the moment, to upgrade from my SPC880. So, whats hot and whats not at the moment?

My second question is about colour- I understand that mono is much more sensitive, but i'm not sure i want the faff of colour filters. If i get say a DMK can i add colour to the mono image using the SPC880?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

I'm in the market for a new planetary camera at the moment, to upgrade from my SPC880. So, whats hot and whats not at the moment?

The new DMK cameras with the new 618 chipset are the hottest thing at the moment. If you're after a bargain, I'd hang on and wait for the flood of cheap 2nd hand DMKs that will soon come on to the market as people upgrade to the new 618 chipset version.

My second question is about colour- I understand that mono is much more sensitive, but i'm not sure i want the faff of colour filters. If i get say a DMK can i add colour to the mono image using the SPC880?

Yes, that's exactly what I intend to do when I get a DMK. I've already tried it with my Mono SPC900/colour SPC900 webcams and it works pretty well.

Out of interest the chip in the new colour DFK 21AU618.AS is the 1/4" Sony super HAD CCD ICX618AQA 4.46mm (h) 3.80mm (v) (5.6um x 5.6um). Whereas the scd-435 uses the 1/3" Sony super HAD CCD ICX638 5.59mm (h) x 4.68mm (v).

With differences between the PAL and NTSC versions:

NTSC (SDC435) ICX638 768*494 at 6.35um * 7.4um

PAL (SDC435P) ICX639 752*582 at 6.5um * 6.25um

So am I right in thinking that these sensors are the same generation? I'd be interested to know how the differences pan out in reality. I know there are plenty of CCD experts out there who will know.

Thanks for the input so far folks, just to be clear, i already have a Mintron so am not looking for a video camera, but rather a dedicated planetary imaging camera.

whats the advantage of the new 618 chipped d*k cameras?

Stephen

AFAIK, the 618 chip is much more sensitive than the webcam webchip, so you're able to up the framerate and grab more frames in a shorter time. More frames, better chance of a great image.

FWIW, I've some tests my I-nova cam with my laptop and it can do approaching 60fps in 8 bit mode, IIRC the 880/900 webcams are about 15 fps. I would imagine the imaging source 618 cameras would have roughly the same performance as mine.

Tony..

Archived