Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Feeling better- what a difference a good sky makes!

Vicky

I love it when I get chance to get out and learn something. Tonight I've learnt loads!

My new ironing seat arrived today and my word- what a difference the comfort makes- I felt I had time to sit and just look without fidgeting in a uncomfy half-standing position :)

I realised by looking properly at M57 that stronger magnification does not equal better- that different fields of view look different. I liked it through the 17mm best- reasonable brightness but also a reasonable size. I like the difference in definition between the eyepieces too. The Meade (17mm) I got second hand for not very much appears to suffer less at the edge compared to the stock s/w lenses.

I realised I can get reasonable shots of the moon- I need to look into how to make them good enough in the crop. And I captured a 'bouncy' saturn - which was just an experiment- so may have another go at that before it leaves us.

So all in all lots of good stuff tonight- and its the height of summer- I can't wait until winter!

Btw- the reason I am posting as like many astro peeps with relatively new scopes I was beginning to feel the frustration, but with plans afoot for making the azi a bit smoother and ideas whizzing around my head for (laminated paper) alt/azi gauges, and getting out to actually see something I'm feeling 100% happier.

I've even made plans to take my scope with us on our holiday up North as its a dark site- hope to show some of the family what this cannon can do!

Clear (and dark) skies!

Vicky

Good move with getting a chair Vicky. Had a briliant view of the Ring using a 24mm Panoptic and OIII filter a few days ago so was happy to leave the power at that. It really showed with a bit of averted vision. :)

enjoy the views on your hols, am heading south for a gander through a big dob! Hope your weather is good when you arrive. :)

The bug has well and truly bitten as you say- I seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time on this new part of my life- browsing for nice shiny new things and of course looking what the next scope is going to be <although note I'm in no hurry- it took me a year or so to pin myself down to this one- which I am loving :) >.

Chris and Ian,. as you say, I feel last night everything clicked and I 'got it' - such a good feeling and great to be able to come here and say it without getting funny looks.

Sounds like you had a good evening too Alan, I'm still deliberating on an eyepiece as that will be one of the next purchases- I'm not rushing, just debating what to get.

I hope you get clear skies and nice sunny days too Alan.

Best wishes,

Vicky

You really do have the bug Vicky.....great stuff :)

And sounds like you are learning very quickly about which eyepiece to use and what suits what object. The stock eyepieces are certainly okay to get going with but as you are realising by comparing to the Meade, the standard SW eyepieces can easily be improved upon and for not much outlay either. Sounds like you are already hooked on searching the market for new bits.

And you'll have that Azimuth bearing improved in no time. Will transform the scope!!!!

I have an ironing chair, it's great viewing in comfort rather than with a bent back.

A nice little update Vicky, I too know how important a relaxed seating position is :)

Many of my friends seem to think they need to be in a hurry, or I want to use the scope after them quickly which is not the case - I just want them to relax and observe!

Archived