Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atlantis & ISS Solar Transit

Here's my post of the Shuttle - ISS solar transit this afternoon.

The usual mix of excitement, adrenalin and panic to capture the 0.59 second transit, this time shared with my mate Dave (EaglesEye).

Dave did the driving and managed to find a great spot near Corby, about 100 metres from the centreline. It was so good that all the thunderflies from the surrounding 20 miles decided to come and share it with us. I'm still trying to get them out of my laptop.

Details - the pics are fairly self explanetary.

Gear - Nikon D300 + 420mm telephoto + Baader filter. 1/1600s exposures at f8.

ISS transit: 13.39 and 54 secs.

Atlantis transit: 13.39 and 56 secs.

Transiting 2 seconds behind the ISS, Atlantis was in hot pursuit to dock a few hours later. I've circled Atlantis since, due to it's small size (well, it was a long way away), you could be forgiven for not spotting it at all.

One interesting thing to note is that Atlantis path was slightly south of the ISS, or so it would appear from the images.

EDIT: Added a couple of crops which show a bit more detail on ISS. Unfortunately, at the same image scale as the ISS shot, Atlantis is still a dot, and really needs a bit more magnification in the original capture.

post-19542-133877632607_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632615_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632622_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632629_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632645_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632651_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632761_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877632769_thumb.jpg

Nice one mate. That lens combination really gets some great contrast.

It was great fun, and I would definitely recommend everyone has a bash at these transits. Definitely a white-knuckle ride.

One interesting thing to note is that Atlantis path was slightly south of the ISS, or so it would appear from the images.

I haven't had a chance to check mine for this and won't do until tomorrow evening. I will let you know if I see the same.

I haven't had a chance to check mine for this and won't do until tomorrow evening. I will let you know if I see the same.

Unless you were standing in a different field, my guess is you'll see the same :D

Will be interesting to compare though! Look forward to chatting later.

Great caoture Kev, and what a special memory that will be now no more shuttles

Absolutely. It's a shame that the weather doesn't look too hopeful between now and the planned landing so I may not get the chance for any more attempts at imaging the shuttle.

Never mind, there's always the Aries module to look forward to :).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived