Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900 LXmod yesyes style ;-)

yesyes

Hey Yes Yes

Thanks for the comment. Can you point out what changes can be made to you original post in order to use this for long exposure. I am not an electronics person so asking such (dumb!!!) questions.

Thanks

Hmmm... Not sure what you are asking...

The whole point of the mod is long exposure.Or am I missing something? Maybe you can explain your question in a bit more detail? ;-)

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to everything and this is my first post.

I'm about to carry out the mod to my SPC900. I've got most of the bits together and I'm just sorting out the USB to Serial adaptor and have found one on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b8d732d1 This one seems expensive and I'm not sure that it's totally suitable. Does anyone know of a cheaper / better alternative that I could use? - Neil

That one *seems* suitable from the info in the listing. They specifically say genuine Prolific chipset and they specify Win7 x64 as supported (the "fake" prolific chips don't work under Win7 x64).

I wouldn't like to suggest any alternatives. I have done this once (in this thread even, I think) and it turned out to be fakes (they did work on XP but not on Win7). I wouldn't want to repeat that .. ;-)

Chris, thanks for your reply, I don't blame you for not wanting to suggest one; it does seem to be a problem.

I received one of these (http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649) today to find out that it has a PL2303HXA chip in it which is supported under Win7 32/64bit however my new laptop is Win8 (last one died two weeks ago - it was eight years old and has had a hard life) and guess what the HXA isn't supported by Prolific under Win8.

I'm now left with two options either a source a compatible 2303 chip and have a go at replacing it or find another adaptor with the right chip in it. I figure that I have nothing to loose by trying to solder a new chip onto it as it's no good to me.

It does work on Win7 as I've just tried it.

So I'm off to search for chip .....

Why is it never easy !!!!!

- Neil

I've found an adaptor with a PL-2303 HXD chip in it but I'm not sure it will work. As far as I can make out from the datasheet it's 3.3v as it says:-

On Chip USB 1.1 transceiver, 5V to 3.3V regulator

I'm sure that I've read somewhere in the thread that 3.3v won't work - perhaps someone can confirm.

I also have an FTDI adaptor here that does work with Win8 but I don't know what chip is in it and FTDI don't appear to have a utility to find out and I don't now how to test it.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Neil

I've found an adaptor with a PL-2303 HXD chip in it but I'm not sure it will work. As far as I can make out from the datasheet it's 3.3v as it says:-

On Chip USB 1.1 transceiver, 5V to 3.3V regulator

I'm sure that I've read somewhere in the thread that 3.3v won't work - perhaps someone can confirm.

I also have an FTDI adaptor here that does work with Win8 but I don't know what chip is in it and FTDI don't appear to have a utility to find out and I don't now how to test it.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Neil

Welll I've sourced all the parts as per the "tested" diagram.

Onto the mod.

Watch this space !

Oh, all credits please to the work done on this project so far.

Many thanks as without such info, people like me couldn't do these things.

Regards

Neil

.........photos to follow ?

Sorry about the delay. Quite busy recently...

First of all, AmpOn/AmpOff is not the same as LX mode. LX is Long eXposure. AmpOff disables (or, in fact, reduces) the internal signal AMPlification (which causes the sensor to heat up which in turn causes Amp Glow). The switch enables/disables LX mode, not AmpOff.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the stripes are and what causes them. Not seen it like this before. Let's concentrate on the other issue first; the fact that the exposure does not change with LX on.

What software are you using to capture the video? It must be software that has a setting for LX mode (for example SharpCap written by a SGL member). Any normal video capture program will not be able to control the LX mode via serial port. (sorry if you mentioned that before, it's been a while and I haven't re-read your last posts :-) ).

If you are using SharpCap, did you select the LX mode entry of you cam in the Camera menu? If yes, what settings did you use in the LX mode config dialog?

I returned the webcam and it was confirmed that there was an issue, a voltage issue i believe. It was fixed and returned but I still had exposure issues, so was returned again for a refund.

I have just purchased a replacement unmodded spc900 and will make do with this for now. I was wondering, do you do a modding service? My soldering skills are not too good ;-)

Hi

Well I've finished !

And I won't be doing another one in a hurry.

I had a lot of issues with the multi-port usb circuit board not being able to drive two components.

In the end I've just run two usb leads out the box.

To be honest I was getting tired and the main thing is that it works.

I can always revisit the usb circuit (the quality of these items is a bit hit and miss so i may try and source somewhere else.)

A powered usb hub on the tripod is probably the way I'll go.

Anyway, a photo of my effort and thanks again to Mr Yes Yes, Gina and all others for the input throughout this thread.

Regards

Neil

post-10504-0-66912100-1368275303_thumb.j

.... I was wondering, do you do a modding service? My soldering skills are not too good ;-)

I used to... I did a few mods for SGL members a while back. I can't do it at the moment. We have moved to a new house last year and I don't have my shed/workshop any more. I'm about to start building my obsy which will have a big warm room where I will set up my workshop again. Hopefully this will be ready in a couple of months. If you can wait, then I can do the mod for you then. Unless you can find someone else who can do it for you in the meantime.. ;-)

I used to... I did a few mods for SGL members a while back. I can't do it at the moment. We have moved to a new house last year and I don't have my shed/workshop any more. I'm about to start building my obsy which will have a big warm room where I will set up my workshop again. Hopefully this will be ready in a couple of months. If you can wait, then I can do the mod for you then. Unless you can find someone else who can do it for you in the meantime.. ;-)

Good luck with the new build, I look forward to seeing it.

I can wait a few months, out of interest how much would the parts and labour be? You can PM me if you wish to discuss that sort of thing....

Rgds

Craig

Hi

Well I've finished !

And I won't be doing another one in a hurry.

I had a lot of issues with the multi-port usb circuit board not being able to drive two components.

In the end I've just run two usb leads out the box.

To be honest I was getting tired and the main thing is that it works.

I can always revisit the usb circuit (the quality of these items is a bit hit and miss so i may try and source somewhere else.)

A powered usb hub on the tripod is probably the way I'll go.

Anyway, a photo of my effort and thanks again to Mr Yes Yes, Gina and all others for the input throughout this thread.

Regards

Neil

Great work Neil...Look forward to seeing some images from it.

Great work Neil...Look forward to seeing some images from it.

Thanks

You've probably noticed the adapter fitted is for a 9x50 finderscope.

Going to be using this as a guide cam.

Guiding is a little way off for my experience level just yet, but with the lovely astro weather we have at the moment it seemed like a good time to do the mod.

Cheers

Neil

I returned the webcam and it was confirmed that there was an issue, a voltage issue i believe. It was fixed and returned but I still had exposure issues, so was returned again for a refund.

I've received the returned webcam and tested it.

Test was carried it out using SharCap (I don't use this software, I'm not that familiar with all the settings so please excuse the lack of focus or enhancement on the image)

light: pitch black, only light was from a 10" screen netbook facing away from the webcam.

test: exposure, nothing more nothing less, wasn't trying to make the image sharp.

0.3 sec exposure:

normal_0.3sec.png

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera (LX Mode)]
Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Colour Space / Compression=YUY2
Exposure (s)=0.3
Output Format=PNG files (*.png)
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
BacklightCompensation=255
Gain=37

1 sec exposure:

normal_1sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=1.00420239938771
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

2 sec exposure:

normal_2sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=2.00364720409962
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

3.75 sec exposure:

normal_3.75sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=3.75682750379142
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

6.22 sec exposure:

normal_6.22sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=6.22474055236473
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

20 sec exposure:

normal_20sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=20.2544873148193
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

As you can see from the above pictures, as the exposure increase, the picture get brighter which is what it should do.

I've only used this camera as a guide camera but I do have a QHY5 now for this.

Will be using it (once I learn how to use SharCap correctly) for planetary pictures.

I've received the returned webcam and tested it.

Test was carried it out using SharCap (I don't use this software, I'm not that familiar with all the settings so please excuse the lack of focus or enhancement on the image)

light: pitch black, only light was from a 10" screen netbook facing away from the webcam.

test: exposure, nothing more nothing less, wasn't trying to make the image sharp.

0.3 sec exposure:

normal_0.3sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=0.3
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=37

1 sec exposure:

normal_1sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=1.00420239938771
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

2 sec exposure:

normal_2sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=2.00364720409962
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

3.75 sec exposure:

normal_3.75sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=3.75682750379142
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

6.22 sec exposure:

normal_6.22sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=6.22474055236473
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

20 sec exposure:

normal_20sec.png

Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Exposure (s)=20.2544873148193
Brightness=50
Contrast=63
Saturation=-100
Gamma=21
ColorEnable=0
Gain=63

As you can see from the above pictures, as the exposure increase, the picture get brighter which is what it should do.

I've only used this camera as a guide camera but I do have a QHY5 now for this.

Will be using it (once I learn how to use SharCap correctly) for planetary pictures.

I'm glad it is working Stephane, I can't understand why I could not get the exposure to work on two different PC's. I guess there must be something a miss with my setup.

Hi

That's another one of these mods done for a friend.

But VERY fiddly and time consuming.

The satisfaction at the end makes it worth it.

If anyone reading this is thinking of trying the mod themselves, I have pretty much a spare set of components sitting here to do one more mod.

Less a webcam (obviously) and project box, but if you have those and fancy a try, PM me and you can have the bits FOC

Regards

Neil

Hi

That's another one of these mods done for a friend.

But VERY fiddly and time consuming.

The satisfaction at the end makes it worth it.

If anyone reading this is thinking of trying the mod themselves, I have pretty much a spare set of components sitting here to do one more mod.

Less a webcam (obviously) and project box, but if you have those and fancy a try, PM me and you can have the bits FOC

Regards

Neil

I agree with the "VERY fiddly" comment, oh and for your spare parts you can contact Whistlebare :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two cameras converted successfully. Thanks to YesYes for the easiest circuit and best explanatory pictures. I did both of mine by rats-nesting on the actual camera CCD board rather than bothering with a separate bit of vero board. There is 5V available at socket pin1 and ground in the opposite corner by the springy pin so I could solder the components direct to those, thus reducing the number of wires coming off the board.

spc900nc Mod 1

One camera was sqeezed back into its original housing with 2 cables, and one into a project box with hub and serial adapter so only one cable. The latter has a heatsink on the back of the CCD. I oriented the board so air could flow from a small fan through the gap in the boards past the heatsink (fan not fitted yet in the photo below)

spc900nc Mod 2

The other thing of note is the 2-port USB hub at the bottom of the photo. This is a PSG02515 from CPC (CS14533) with the dual USB socket wrenched out with pliers to save space (desoldering was going to be too damaging to the tracks).

Hello!

Just done the LX mod yesyes style! Thanks alot for all your work Yesyes! And now I am testing the camera and it seems to... almost work.... :embarrassed:

Sometimes i get a BSOD when i connect the camera (doesnt matter if the switch is on or of) or sometimes it is working and i can take long exposures and then all of a sudden it stops doing long exposure and just works like normal webcam.

Tried Sharpcap, wxastrocapture and PHD and got all programs to work after some messing around with the settings. If it stops working and go back to normal mode i can often get it back to work a few frames if I change the fps settings in sharpcap but only a few frames.

I have Vista (yes i know it sucks) and have installed all the drivers for camera, serial to usb converter and all vista updates.

I have checked all the wiring an soldering and it seems like its OK.

Any help would be appreciated

Olle

Hi Olle.

First of all, you're welcome.. ;-)

Then hmmmmm, these kind of intermittent problems are hard to troubleshoot from a distance. It sounds like some contact isn't done properly somewhere. I would probably start by checking the circuit board for the LX mod and re-solder any solder point that doesn't look perfect.

Regarding the BSOD, I have a friend who uses a SPC900 as a normal webcam (not modded) and he also sometimes gets a BSOD when he plugs in the camera to the USB port (that is on Win XP). It seems to be an issue with the driver. You could check if a newer webcam driver is available from Philips. Do install the Philips driver, not whatever Windows detects and installs...

Archived