Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why YOU love this hobby.

Space Oddity6

I LOVE ASTRONOMY because you learn new things all the time ! I have come a long way since my mom got me that 50mm refractor 40 yrs ago... You get unexpected treats all the time, it is great when you get with some fellow astronomers and observe until the sun comes up !! It is awesome when you are looking at the moon and an airplane flies right in front of it, or when you are looking at M104 and a satellite goes right across the view, or when you are looking at the sun and the silhouette of a distant flock of birds flies in front of the sun !!! I saw OMEGA CENTAURI through a C14 down in KISSIMEE PRAIRIE RESERVE and it looked like the stars were hanging off the core like the strings on a mop, the stars were very green and it was an outstanding site....I would like to say that from my experience that I would recommend the use of HIGH QUALITY ULTRA WIDE ANGLE EYEPIECES....the view is extremely pleasing and they allow the object to stay in the field of view a lot longer... with my 12" DOB and the UWA eyepieces, observing is a great rewarding experience.... CLEAR SKIES and KEEP LOOKING UP !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was so stressed today with my looming dissertation deadline and girl troubles and very nearly didn't go out observing tonight, boy was I happy I did. Got some star trail pics, a look at Andromeda Galaxy, Jupiter and an attempt at the supernovae in M101 and Whirlpool Galaxy which proved unsuccessful, and I just feel so much calmer for it. Just lying back and looking up made me step back and realise that my worries just don't really matter that much.

I hope I never get bored of this hobby because the effect it has on me is so profound and perception changing.

I love Astronomy because every one iv met i have instantly liked and respected,Thats why i really look forward to the SGL meets,meeting great people and i look forward to meeting them a every year or whenever the chance to meet up arises ,im a very shy person and really dont like meeting people not so SGL folk .............................kev

I love my hobby been into stargazing almost year now looking at different type star systems constelations and looking at moon and jupiter and saturn.

I usually spend about hour so day looking up at night skies even if it's not so clear sky most of time me simple modified hercules webcam automatic scans and takes snap shot images of skies hunting for strange object lights :).

I love spring and summer. I love working in the garden.

Autumn and winter has not really brought me any joy - until astronomy. Now I have a reason to look forward to this part of the year as well.

I get up at 4:30 in the morning and ride my bike 20 km to work and it's great watching the stars most days.

And as written by others - being alone in silence with your own thoughts is really nice after stressful days at work.

I like the craftsmanship behind all the different elements that go together to make my setup. I like setting it all up and the anticipation of looking through the telescope. I like the fact that it is not always a clear night as it makes the good sessions special. I like how quiet it is just before dawn. But most of all I like how looking at something light years away helps put my life in perspective.

Excellent question and i have loved reading about others love for this hobby.

For me it all started when i was a young boy using my dads 7x50 RAF binoculars looking at the full moon and sky for hours. i have always had a big interest in anything space related.

However my father sadly passed when i was 15 and never really got into this as a hobby properly, now in my early 20's i brought my first scope and really enjoy every time i am out and i know my father would be happy that i followed it on.

Also what isnt to love about a crystal clear night and a scope, im looking forward to my first winter and clearer skys.

Archived