NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camping Vs Motor Home

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never had any issues mountaineering at altitude in tents under hail, rain or snow. It doesn't get in!

Olly

Tent- luxury! In my younger days we slept outside sometimes when climbing in the Alps. Two sleeping bags, feet in rucksack plus wearing all my clothes and still bl**dy cold!

This photo was from the Aguile Verte at about 3500m taken with my old Minox. The mountain in background is Mont Blanc and the light on the forground mountain in the Aguile de Midi cable car station.

ALPS_041.jpg

Don't think I'm up to that kind of camping any more- though it has to said the skies were nice and clear up there!

i been thinking of the rear loader ASDA vans we use, after asda finish's with them the fleet company sells them at auction, well the rear box's are fully insulated (as they are fridge) so warm, just cut out some windows, hole for exaust gas's, decent floor with out the rings for strapping the totes down, and obv remove the fridge/freezer (hell you could always convert them to heaters :) ) perfect! oh n get rid of the lush illumious green! lol

If you know where to look you can buy a touring caravan for £100 it may need some money spending on it and a bit of work but for a total outlay of £300 you'd have something fairly decent.

It's a van with insulation. The difference is boggling. You breathe out water and this needs to go somewhere and be channelled out of the vehicle. The bare tin of a van will be delighted to absorb your body heat!

I've never had any issues mountaineering at altitude in tents under hail, rain or snow. It doesn't get in!

Olly

I stand corrected Olly :)

Looked at options a few years back. Realised that unless a camper van was used multiple times a year then the cost was not worth it.

Looked into the Mazda Bongo options. Allowing for some general maintenance, road duty, insurance it looked like a minimum of ££1200-1500 a year. Add in fuel at even 30 mph it starts to add up. Then comes the initial buying cost, reasonable one was £8000-10,000.

Realised that if I had one for 3-5 years I could spend the same total amount on a good hotel and have the comfort. £15,000 over 5 years is £3,000 a year, could book a few good holidays with that each year.

For a motor home you really need to use it half the weekends of the year to make it a worthwhile investment.

Still look at some of the vans, those with a half window in, and wonder at the cost of a DIY conversion. May just be worthwhile.

Looked at options a few years back. Realised that unless a camper van was used multiple times a year then the cost was not worth it.

Looked into the Mazda Bongo options. Allowing for some general maintenance, road duty, insurance it looked like a minimum of ££1200-1500 a year. Add in fuel at even 30 mph it starts to add up. Then comes the initial buying cost, reasonable one was £8000-10,000.

Realised that if I had one for 3-5 years I could spend the same total amount on a good hotel and have the comfort. £15,000 over 5 years is £3,000 a year, could book a few good holidays with that each year.

For a motor home you really need to use it half the weekends of the year to make it a worthwhile investment.

Still look at some of the vans, those with a half window in, and wonder at the cost of a DIY conversion. May just be worthwhile.

Very true. Many camper van owners spend a thousand pounds to save a hundred pounds. If you intend to check into campsites then a hotel is hardly any dearer. I used to free camp in my campers but not in areas likely to attract the bad guys. Pick a residential street in a decent neighbourhood and everyone assumes you are visiting someone else! Out in the wild it sn't an issue. The bad guys can't cruise all the mountain passes in search of attackable vans, they go to motorway stops in hopes of catching the naive.

But if you want to find dark sites in light polluted GB then a camper van has a lot going for it and building you own is a nice project. I suspect I will do one more before shuffling off this mortal coil!

Olly

PS I do get quite a few enquiries from camper owners who would like to use my observatories without staying with me, but how can I pay my way with that? Alas I can't and have to say so.

I would go with the tent and have, you dont have to pay to store or tax it, my tent is bigger than most motor homes or vans and has heating and all the perks, in kelling last year i took my microwave toaster etc, buy stuff like folder tables, kitchen, oil rads, electric hobs and grill, coffee machine, kettle, inflatable furnature, and a nice big tent.

Caravans go out of date fast. with a tent you can advance with the times without spending a fortune.

I think after reading all of these that im leaning towards camping rather then the motor home.

I was thinking of renting rather then buying so Tax, Insurance and so on wouldn't have been a concearn but id forgotten the cost of fuel and ultimatlely even i can't crash a tent.

No but you can crash into them! Try having a skin full and walk through a field of tents without breaking your neck tripping over guide ropes :D

Pop up tent for me, however that just leave everyone else's tent for me fall over into...

appolgies in advance :p

Archived