I need help!

Hello fellow Astronomers,

I am near purchasing my very first telescope but I am unsure of which to choose. Here are a list of telescopes I like and would like to know which one is best for me.

Skywatcher Heritage 130p

Skyliner 150p Dobsonian

Skyliner 200p Dobsonian

or any you recommend!

I do like the Skyliner 150p as it is cheap and has excellent quality but is it worth getting?

Many Thanks

George! :)

Will you be transporting the telescope places and do you have a car? do you think you would be ok with the weight of the 200? if transport isnt an issue and neither is space then id go for the biggest appeture your funds permit that you feel you would be quite comfortable lifting:).

Whats your total budget? you will always need a few extras like a collimator and possibly extra eye peices.

The scope that gets the most use will be the best for you, and sometimes if a scope is to big its enough that it just wont be used as much due to logistics of everything.

I agree with Madhatter, we need to know how much money your willing to spend. Also, do you have experience using scopes. I know this is your first scope, but are you going a casual route or are you gearing up for serious time with it? A huge scope can be a pain to move around.

Welcome George, some good advice above which I would also echo.

If you can give us an idea of budget we can give further advice. I would also consider the little extras as well such as eye pieces, a colimator, head torch, maybe a power tank if you want a tracking scope......

the main question is what do you wish to observe? ie dso, planets, moon, M clusters, comets, then that would detemine the type of scope you require. for me the ideal starter scope would be the sky watcher 127mm auto track, a very good compact light/portable scope at around the £350 mark.

Don't forget to peruse the used scope Ads. A bargain can be found if you are prepared to wait a while. Save yourself some money too, that will go towards a couple of decent eyepieces.

An 8"f5 Newt. Dob. is an excellent first telescope, and it will ensure you stay interested in the hobby, and once you are familiar with object locating, you can quietly plan how you would like to progress further into this fascinating way of life we call Astronomy.

Ron.

First of all Thanks for the advice!

This may come as a suprise but I am 13 years old. I have decided to take on the Skyliner 6" as it comes within my budget (Past Christmas and Birthday money!) of £260 (inc accessories). It may not be alot to experts like you but I have the money to expand it. I just now need to know what accessories I need to improve the scopes capabilitys. Aswell sepperatley what things would I need to get it up to its highest practical power of 306 magnification?

Many Thanks and Greatfullness

George! :)

Hi Geoge,

The 306x magnification will only be practical very rarely - 180x-240x would be more useful. This is due to the limits imposed by our seeing conditions rather than the scope.

A 150mm F/8 scope (ie: the Skyliner) needs eyepieces in the 6.5mm - 5mm focal length range to deliver this magnification.

A low power eyepiece like a 32mm plossl would also be a good addition.

Most newcomers to the hobby think it's all about magnification but really it's all about light gathering - which is why aperture is very important.

Much observing is done at low and medium power.

Keep asking the questions though - I'm sure you will get lots of help :)

Hi George, i think you have meade an excellent choice! the 6 inch is a very capable scope and offers some fantastic views.

The highest magnification of 306 would be under perfect skys i imagine, are you UK based? here the maximium magnification is around the 250 mark for most objects, double stars i believe you can go a little higher.

That 6 inch is not to be sniffed at! whilst yes you can get bigger, that will be a very practical and usable scope that will offer years of enjoyment should you take to the hobby, it also wont break the bank should you not.

For now i would suggest one extra and that is a collimator, it is essential with newtonian telescopes. Collimation can seem abit daunting at first but once you get the idea it really isnt that hard at all. Eyepeices can come with time as you learn what your eyepeice collection is missing. a Reasnable 2x barlow would be handy.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy the great hobby that is astronomy:)

Thanks so Much Madhatter for the advice! I am UK based in Manchester but light pollution could possibly be an issue. It is not hard to get away as the Pennines are quite close but since I have not a clue, what is a collimator? Also do you know any good observing spots around Manchester?

Hi George.

The Skyliner 150P Dob. is a fine instrument, and a good choice. You musn't place too much emphasis on magnification though. The telescopes focal length is 1200mm, and it's highest power eyepiece will give you a power of x120.

You would see that the description indicates a (potential)** power of x300. To achieve that will require x2.5 Barlow lens, a device that effectively increases the scopes focal length 2.5 times.

**Depending on how steady the seeing is.

Ron.

hi George

I live in between Manchester and Stockport so know about light pollution!

Although I have been working on a bigger scope (and have had a 12" scope in the past), I also have a 6" scope which is currently the only one I have that's usable.

I have been pleasantly surprised at what you can see even in less than ideal conditions with this aperture.

As others have said, it's a great scope to start with and will last a long time - in the 80's this would have been a dream scope for someone like you or I and possibly unobtainable commercially unless loaded.

One item that will make life a lot easier is a Telrad. With the scope and the Telrad you should still be on budget.

I'd just observe from home for now but try and get out of as much of the glare of lights as you can

Good luck

Shane

I would agree with Shane, best accessory ever.

A Telrad or Rigel QuikFinder really make a dob an absolute joy to use. After all, if you don't know where it's pointing, how can you find stuff to view with it? Through the finderscope a star is a star, it looks like many others, but with a Telrad/Rigel next to the finder scope, you will know which star it is. Then you will be able to star-hop to find the object you want to look at.

Hi fine advisers!

Can you reccomend a Telrad what will fit my 6" Dob? Also do you think this is a good website/shop to buy the telescope and telrad from? - Skyliner 150P 6" Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope | Telescopes | Rother Valley Optics

all Telrads are the same size etc so fit all scopes. there are some options which you can add but they are not necessary. make a dew shield though (easy to make in think black foam sheets from Hobbycraft - about £1 a sheet if you can use scissors!). The Rigels are OK too but if you get one, always buy the battery option as it saves battery money in the long run.

The supplier you mention is decent and as are FLO, the sponsors of this site, who price match usually.

You can always buy a used scope too. This is a good way to get a bargain, although a new scope is sometimes 'safer' unless you

can take someone with you to check the used one out. I may be available possibly just ask.

Cheers

Shane

Archived