NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

finding neptune

4lefts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps this is an opportunity to evaluate Neptune with a variety of scopes and ep's being used, would be interesting to see what people think, of course a big dob and some darkish skies would have a clear advantage.

It would be interesting. I shall give it a bash with both mine when it's favourably placed.

It would be interesting. I shall give it a bash with both mine when it's favourably placed.

This thread has got me very interested in it Steve, seems a bit overlooked.

Like yourself I will hope to see it when its in a better position. :)

Maybe an idea to make an Ice Giant thread, for both images and sketches of these two very distant neighbours.

As already stated, they are often over looked, but still very intreging. Uranus and Neptune's moons can be captured in just a few seconds exposure wth cameras, even using Dobs.

It'll be nearer christmas for my observations with a scope, due to work, but binocular wise, I'll be charting their movement from the day I sail.

Looking forward to the challenge ahead.

Maybe an idea to make an Ice Giant thread, for both images and sketches of these two very distant neighbours.

As already stated, they are often over looked, but still very intreging.

Now that's great idea Ed.

I think it could inspire a few observers that otherwise would pass bye these fascinating worlds.

Regards Steve

Really good ideas. I'll be out looking for them over the summer hols (gotta love being a teacher). I'll post up how it goes. I love the ice giants - there's something really alien about them, even more so than other planets.

stephen.

I have a sketch of Uranus I'd done with my old 254mm Dob.

I can start the topic of with that one if there's a sticky thread activated.

Eddie H

5911932736_1b6b51afae_b.jpg

If it looks bright, just move around the screen, so to speak, shading detail stands out, as denoted with the intensity notes. Hope you don't think I'm hijacking the Neptune thread, but since its gone to the Ice Giants.

Nice pic! I really need to start sketching things - I like drawing generally, there's just something about being at the scope that makes it hard for me to feel like drawing. but i should.

if i can see detail like that with my scope in Uranus, I'll be well pleased!

Just be thankful you are having the opportunity to look for it :D

I learn all these new planets are coming into season for viewing and I still haven't had a clear night in months :p

Absolutely cannot wait to stay up for an all nighter and bag 5 planets in one session!

i've only had one night, last week. that was my first one for about a month. wow. at that rate, i probably shouldn't think about what it costs per session to observe. or per object (£20 per messier?).

Archived