I was packing up my gear last night around 22:40 after an unsuccessful session due to intermittent cloud cover when a very bright object caught my eye. It was traveling (approximate) from NW / W to SE / E at a fair clip, not quite as fast as some satellites I have seen before but moving right along. At the moment I saw it, it was the brightest object in the sky, brighter than Arcturus, which it was traversing from right to left about a quarter of the way down from there to the horizon. The brightness only lasted for another 10 - 15 seconds or so before it began to quickly grow fainter as it moved across the sky. Does anyone know if this could have been the ISS? The reason I ask is that I have seen many satellites previously but none that grew to this brightness before. I thought I would check to see if anyone here would know if characteristically what I saw fits the description of how the ISS would appear. My position is Lat / Long 43 0 / 71 30

quote: At the moment I saw it, it was the brightest object in the sky, brighter than Arcturus, which it was traversing from right to left about a quarter of the way down from there to the horizon. The brightness only lasted for another 10 - 15 seconds or so before it began to quickly grow fainter as it moved across the sky.

Pleased to say I saw it too as i poked my head out of the front door to check out the evening sky... waited for it to reappear from behind a tree and it didnt.. so i guessed it had faded by that time!

I am just glad i got to see it too !

Archived