Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eye piece set....worth the money?

Hello,

Following advice from most of you chaps I've come to the conclusion that the 10mm eyepiece that came with my Sky 127 MAK isn't a particularly good eyepiece. Also, having read the Sticky thread on eyepieces its seems that with a 1500mm focal length telescope, I need a 9, 15 and 25mm at the very least in my set. Given that I have a limited budget I would rather start out with a few Super Plossl as they seem to be good value for money. I've seen this set from my local Astronomy shop and wondered if the purchase could be considered a worthy upgrade. They are branded as GSO Super Plossl

Stockport Binocular & Telescope Centre. eyepieces

Or is this revelation set better value?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

Any advice would be truly appreciated

Scott

I'm new to this!

I would advise against eyepiece sets. You will find that they contain eyepieces you will seldom use as well as an expensive box to hold them all. Many contain filters as well.

Much better to buy one or two good eyepieces that you will actually use!

You have a 1500mm focal length scope so you need maybe a 25mm (gives 1500/25=60x) and 10mm (1500/10=150x) and maybe an 7mm (1500/7=214x) should do as a complete set to get you started. (Maybe a 15mm as well).

Decent Plossil's at around £30-£60 should be OK to start with. Going for anything more expensive is likely to lead to little more performance for quite a bit more money!

Don't believe the blurb that says you can only get a good image with a £300+ eyepiece!! In the UK the quality of your image is governed by the atmosphere, not the optical quality of your kit.

I think eyepiece sets are a good idea. They give a range of eyepieces which make for a useful upgrade to the usual supplied EPs, and make a good foundation for future upgrades.

The GSO plossls are well made, good quality and excellent value for money. They work very nicely in my 200P F6 dob and I find I use the 32mm and 12mm most often. I have a Celestron EP box (from eBay) which has the precut foam to accomodate my plossls, barlow and filters (Moon & OIII). I don't use any coloured filters but if you look at the plossls alone cost £30 each that makes the set a bargain.

Buy with confidence :hello2:

I have the Celestron set and wish I'd never bothered. The Revelation set is better value for money, more useable, and more functional. But rather than ep sets I allways recommend a second hand MK2 baader zoom lens. It's by far the best value for money, like 5 in 1 eyepieces, far superior quality to any of the basic sets, and is threaded for dslr's. The most flexible and useful bit of kit in my box and less than the cost of an ep set.

As a guide - subtract the value of the ally case and filters from the cost of any set, then divide what's left by the number of ep's within it. Then compare that number with the price of supplied ep's. You'll find it's equal or less methinks :hello2:

i have the older Revelation set and for the money the are good value, either of the choices you have made are good for the money, i`d stay away from the 4,6,8mm eyepieces you can get in some sets as you will hardly use them, Moon filters are good and needed for viewing bright Moon.

i think the new Revelation set includes a barlow lens too which isn`t a bad one either and a hard case, if your on a budget you can`t go too wrong in my opinion

I also have the 10mm and 25mm EPs that came with my SkyWatcher 130mm Dob, and I was also told that they are not good EPs.

And yet, I've been using them for almost a year and they've given me great service. I recently acquired a used 8mm Stratus. This EP sells for 85 £ (new) and it is a HUGE and heavy monster. But besides the eye relief, I found absolutely no difference compared to the 10mm Skywatcher generic.

I find that my 2 Skywatcher EPs and a 2X Barlow are all I really need, or use right now.

Although I might get the Mk 2 Baader zoom, but only because brantuk says it's treaded for DSLRs, and that would nicely solve a few problems I have.

I think EPs are a really personnal choice, and I don't really think there are any "right" or "wrong" choices. My suggestion is before you buy anything, go to a star party and ask fellow astronomers if you can try some of their EPs and decide for yourself.

Like Brantuk, I have the Celestron set. It was one of the first purchases I made after I got my first scope. I have mixed feelings about the purchase. These days I really only use one EP with and without a Barlow, but in the past I have made full use of the EPs that came with the set. My set came with a set of filters too and those have provided some interesting views. Again, these days I only use one of them for viewing Saturn.

I#m not helping really am I? I've never used a zoom, but would recommend getting a good 9 and a good 25 mm. They will serve you well.

Archived