Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book review: Last Man on the Moon by Eugene Cernan

mallux

Have just finished reading this book, which I picked up second hand from a local Oxfam. What a great read; I couldn't put it down, Gene talks eloquently and honestly about the ups and downs of his life and space career. When you read about the things he achieved by the time he was my age - academic engineering success, navy pilot, spacewalking on Gemini 9, two Apollo missions - it made me think (as I was trudging around Sainsbury's) - what the heck have I done with my life? But he seems like a nice bloke and you get a great insight into what it was like during that fantastic period of the 60's/70's, and the different personalities of the astronauts in the programme (rather than being just names in history books).

If you're frustrated by bad weather or the long summer evenings, you could do a lot worse than pick up a copy.

Chris

Will definitely give that a go, sounds great. Have admired him for a long time; as said, he speaks eloquently about his experiences. I have the film 'In the shadow of the moon' which is well worth a look and the interviews with Gene Cernan are amongst my favourite bits, particularly when talking about piloting a Saturn V at launch :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived