NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Imaging Camera

johninderby

With the PST modded 102mm f/11 scope almost ready (last bits arriving early next week). ;) I'm curious as to which camera would be best to use with it or should I say more suitable than a Canon 1000D? Nothing too expensive mind you, preferably under £500.00. I've been looking at a few mono cameras but need some suggestions for creating a short list.

The Canon 1000D has only been used twice (hence very low shutter count) and bought late last year so selling it would to help pay for a new camera.

Anyway please let me have your suggestions / recommendations.

John

Definitely a mono one. They're more sensitive to photons so give better solar detail. I use a DMK41 for the PST. It works great and is just in your budget. You could alternatively grab the DMK21 for cheaper. Lower resolution but perhaps a higher frame rate?

You'll be needing a shorter nose piece than the one it comes with in order to achieve focus, though you 'could' just saw the default one down...

All my DMK's are firewire - just make sure that they can "talk" to your Laptop - the DMK needs 12V external power.

I ended up with a PCMCIA 6 pin firewire powered adaptor on one machine and an Xpress version on the other.

I noticed that the DMKs are now also available with Giga-ethernet interfaces as well as USB and Firewire. Might be a cheaper overall cost than Firewire if your imaging computer has ethernet ports.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the replies. The DMK 41 (firewire) mono seems to be the favorite so far but I'm not in too much of a hurry to decide. Some gear to sell and bills to pay first. :D

Who knows what will turn up on ABS or even eBay in the next few weeks. :hello2:

John

I have just been looking at the Imaging Source website and they have the firewire, USB and GigE versions. What are the fundamental differences if any between the models? The USB and firwire models are priced the same an d the GigE is more expensive.

Archived