feathertouch microfocuser

Hi,

Is the Starlight Instruments Feathertouch Microfocuser just meant for using for astrophotography, is it worth buying for viewing only? At £249 00 one has to be sure if it's worth the outlay and I will see the benefit, also is this price a reflection on the quality of the item?

Many thanks

Derek.;)

Worth every penny. In visual use it is more luxury than necessity but, in imaging, anything else is less. Every time you touch it you will smile. The pain of signing the cheque will fade.

I went for the standard Crayford on a Lunt solarscope and it has started to be a pest. I wish I'd not been so mean, now. The Feathertouch on our TEC is a cross between military engineering and jewellery.

Crayfords can be good but they rely on friction, which will change with age and wear. Not so an R and P.

Olly

The Feathertouch on our TEC is a cross between military engineering and jewellery.

Nicely put, Olly! I'm still fondling mine although it is now installed on the FLT98, in fact it's quite nice that the weather is poor because I haven't taken it out to the observatory yet so it is available for instant fondling whenever I feel the need ....

I like the way Olly put it, mine arrived friday last week and like steppenwolf i too have not fitted it yet. i have fondled it plenty thought and cant wait for a dry clear night to get it fitted and tested. the proof is obviously in using it but if it works as well as it feels it should be the kiddy!

I've got one on my C8. I've also got the electronic focuser attachment for it, but I've actually gone back to manual as it seems such a waste of fine engineering not to be able to handle it!

Helen

I have fitted one to my C8 SCT http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/125767-c8-sct-motor-focusser.html . It certainly is a vast improvement over the original focus knob supplied with the C8. I also fitted a SW autofocusser via a pully cord. This allows me to easily flip the cord off if I want to focus manually. Whether it is worth the expense is hard to say. I do mainly imaging, and with a focussing mask I could get good focus with the original knob. It would have been harder to fit a DIY electric focusser, but systems are available commercially. I'm sure for visual use it would be better than the original knob. However, £250 is a lot of money. I obtained mine second hand via this forum and in that sense was excellent value for money. Not sure I would have wanted to pay full price, but that is only because I probably don't get the full benefit as I only do imaging.

Archived