Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sagittarius Wide-Field

Nightfly

As an astrophotographer who still uses film, I need from time to time test new emulsions for their suitability for long exposure work. A few years ago I was disappointed when Fuji discontinued its Superia 100 film, a fine film for astrophotography. A recent test suggests that this film is available again, but limited to 35mm. Fujicolor 100 is the same film (in my view) as the old Superia 100.

I loaded the 40 year old Pentax Spotmatic II and tried a few exposures earlier this month. This is a 20 minute exposure with the 50mm 1.4 Takumar @ f/2.8.

Skies were dark, airglow, as seen in the left portion of the frame and coloring the bottom portion throughout, was not noticeable to the unaided eye, but recorded well on the film. This is very sensitive emulsion and can be well regarded as proper film for astro work.

The tree tops are seen in the lower right of the frame. It's very difficult to get a good exposure this low on the horizon.

Film processed standard C-41 and scanned on an Epson V600 scanner. Post processing done in Photoshop.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

Jim

5847932601_d345939789_z.jpg

Fujicolor 100 Test: Summer Milky Way by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

Amazing image! Will you see something like that with the naked eye or will there be less detail and it will be dimmer?

Thank you. To my eyes and location I can see pretty much what is seen here, except color and the very faint nebulae it contains.

That being said, it is much fainter than the image portrays. Messier 8, the bright red nebula in Sagittarius is obvious and nebulous. The bright star clouds seen in the image are obvious, but with no defined stars other than the brightest in the field. The dark nebulae stand out quite starkly.

Observing and photographing this area over the years makes one a better observer as one tries to see as much as possible with the unaided eye. Knowing the structure this region contains aids ones awareness to particular features.

Its very hard to convey without actual seeing it oneself. I have had neophytes look and see nothing here, but others with keen eyesight and experience see the majestic area this is. But that's what being a patient observer of nature entails.

It is such a lovely area and I ever tire of both photographing or observing it.

Thank again.

Jim

Nice photo- thanks for sharing your 'real film' work once again.

I know what you mean about film companies constantly changing their emulsions. You'd just about get used to using one film for astrophotography and then find something had been changed. Fuji HG400 used to be good for red nebulae, then Fuji changed it. Scotchchrome 400 slide film was really good too but that was discontinued in the mid 90's.

Thanks for the possitive remarks. I'm tempted to cut down a few trees to get lower south. There are just so many tempting details in this area of the sky.

Laser_jock99. The Fujicolor line-up is back with good red response. The 100, 200, and 400 speed films all do remarkably well. I prefer the Fujicolor 100.

Archived