SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrade Advice

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying another scope, rather than replacing my MAK (so not really upgrading!) which I love, and so far have narrowed it down to:

Skywatcher 250PS

Skywatcher 250PS FlexTube

Skywatcher 250PDS

Ok, I guess they are all basically the same thing aren't they? -but are there any real differences between them?

Secondly, I would eventually like to get into astrophotography, but am realistic enough to know I can't afford it yet, but if I do get a decent EQ mount at some time in the future- can the 250PS be used on one? (I'm guessing the FlexTube can't!)

Are the only advanatges of the FlexTube the "portability" aspect, and in fact do you loses any visual performance with it?

Finally, does anyone want to throw a curved ball and recemmend something else - I really want something suitable for DSO's as my trusty 127 looks after the moon and planets pretty well

Thanks in advance as usual! :)

The flextubes aren't really favoured for imaging. Short tube, fast focal ratio reflectors on an EQ mount are. But they tend to stick at around 8" max as far as I can tell, unless you really want to shell out for an EQ6 which seems to be the only mount under a grand that can handle the weight.

The DS is dual speed focuser and I believe that it really helps, both with visual and imaging, maybe with a bahtinov mask? I dont have one though.

HTH

If DSO are your main concern then I would buy an 10" Dob.

IMO Equatorial mounts are not needed for deep sky observing, If anything they get in the way.

Thanks, Steve, That was what I was thinking about - I know I don't need an eq mount for DSO's - what Dobs do you have?

I think the choice is going to be between to 2 dobs - so, forget imaging for the moment (I need the lottery fairy to help there!) the question is now - are there any significant differences between the FlexTube and the "fixed" tube dobs that I should be aware of?

Dobs aren't best suited to astrophotography as we probably all now, but that shouldn't stop you getting one now and then an EQ in the future when you are ready to come over to the dark side. As long as its not a flextube you can swap the OTA onto an EQ mount.

I have the 250p DS and love it. It allows direct connection with my DSLR with a T adapter and dis-assembled ep, which gets over the issue on inward travel to achieve focus.

I must admit however, the 250 is a lot of scope for imaging and I plan to get myself a short refractor at some point to give me a wider FOV and something which is easier to set up when I cannot be bothered to lump the OTA in and out of the house. Of course when I build my obs this wont be too much of an issue.....

HTH

- what Dobs do you have?

I am greedy so I have two, both manual, a 10" and a 16"

As for flextube v solid they both have their fans personally I don't see any advantage in the truss tube type in sizes under 12"

To me it seems your paying extra for the privilege of making your own light shroud.

Regards Steve

Dobs aren't best suited to astrophotography as we probably all now, but that shouldn't stop you getting one now and then an EQ in the future when you are ready to come over to the dark side. As long as its not a flextube you can swap the OTA onto an EQ mount.

I think that's the way I'm heading - I'm going to put serious astophotography on the back burner, so I'm really after as much scope as I can get for my money and the 250PX seems to be the weapon of choice at the moment.

To me it seems your paying extra for the privilege of making your own light shroud.

Good point Steve, send my regards to Sutton, used to commute from Sutton station for years!

I have just bought a solid tube 250PX Dob and I love it. You won't be disappointed.

I also have 'approval in principle' from the Mrs to stick it on an EQ6 next year to compliment the 150P that I currently use for imaging.

Archived