DIY EL flatfield panel based on old laptop backlight

astrovirus

Hi All,

Charmed by YesYes design of an EL panel for taking flat field images I decided to make my own using an old Packerd Bell laptop I had laying around.

Made a small converter to supply the laptop inverter with the correct signal voltages to make it work outside the laptop without the VGA signal coming from the LCD screen. See also the YesYes blog for further explanation for this. In my case both the signal pins 3&4 are supplied with 3.3V from the converter and pins 1&2 are supplied with 13.8V from my main PSU. Finally pins 5&6 are the return mass. Only thing left to do now is to construct a nice box around it for the finishing touch.

Oh, and first testing result look good as the test shot shows.

Thanks for watching,

Tim

post-19333-133877620237_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620243_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620248_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620254_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620259_thumb.jpg

I was just about to splash out on an EL panel, but I've got a handful of laptops clogging up the house that don't work any more, so I can feel a project coming on...

Thanks for the tips here (and YesYes)

d

hehehe, thanks for mentioning my lightbox.. ;-))

Good to see more old laptop displays being recycled...

I have since build another of those lightboxes for an SGL member. And I'm currently building another one for my new 10" Newtonian from a 17" monitor panel. ;-)

hehehe, thanks for mentioning my lightbox.. ;-))

Good to see more old laptop displays being recycled...

I have since build another of those lightboxes for an SGL member. And I'm currently building another one for my new 10" Newtonian from a 17" monitor panel. ;-)

And mighty fine it is too :)

• 2 months later...

Should be easy for you Gina.

You need the inverter board. It needs 12V for the main supply. Then it has an "enable" input, usually 2V, 3.3V or 5V and a brightness input usually the same levels as the enable but can be inverted. The last one I made was brightest when the brightness input was on GND.

Should be easy for you Gina.

You need the inverter board. It needs 12V for the main supply. Then it has an "enable" input, usually 2V, 3.3V or 5V and a brightness input usually the same levels as the enable but can be inverted. The last one I made was brightest when the brightness input was on GND.

Thanks - I'll add it to my project list :) Won't be wanting it for a while but it's always good to be prepared :icon_scratch:

Having an old Hp laptop iv'e stripped it to the back light but electrically i'm stumped!!

could anyone guide me to finding the correct lead for the enable imput?

The photo's might help someone to help me fingers crossed!!

need a little help to complete this!!

Ray

post-13801-133877650781_thumb.jpg

post-13801-13387765079_thumb.jpg

As a request from Ray (Libraryman) I have uploaded my schematic for providing the signal pins in the inverter with the correct voltage (3.3V DC in my case). I used a TS2940 1A Ultra Low Dropout Fixed Positive Voltage Regulator for down regulating 13.8V DC to 3.3V DC as this was the only one my local shop supplied, but it does the job nicely. In addition I put in a diode to prevent damage by accidental reverse connection to my 13.8V DC PSU. In my inverter board, pins 1&2 provide power to the backlight, pins 3&4 are the signal pins VGA and dimming (experimantally determined to receive 3-3.3V DC when laptop was running a bright level) and pins 5&6 are return ground.

Hope this helps.

Regards Tim

Backlight Inverter Supply 3_3V.tif

Archived