NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just got solar film

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read.

Ive just made my filter holder (see blog link in signature for what I did.)

One thing I have noticed though, is that I didnt peel off the clear film, the Baader instructions made no reference that it, not that I could see anyway - do you think this will be a problem?

Well, I have just finished my filter as well :D I peeled off the clear film which I hope is good and won't cause a problem. The only thing I might need to fix is the 'sandwich' doesn't stick to the holder very well but some super glue should fix it :hello2: Here are some pictures at the end.

post-23849-133877623615_thumb.jpg

post-23849-133877623618_thumb.jpg

post-23849-13387762362_thumb.jpg

post-23849-133877623624_thumb.jpg

Great read.

Ive just made my filter holder (see blog link in signature for what I did.)

One thing I have noticed though, is that I didnt peel off the clear film, the Baader instructions made no reference that it, not that I could see anyway - do you think this will be a problem?

Could you send me the blog link please because I'm on tapatalk. Would like to read yours too :hello2:

Before you use your solar filter hold it up to a fairly bright light and inspect it for pin holes every time. Even a pinhole is enough to permanently damage your eye.

Just done it on a bright light and I could see the bulb but very very dim. Is this right? Also on the photos you can see there are some wrinkles on the film, will this be OK?

Turn down the gain (to maybe 15-20) and use the exposure setting to get the picture JUST under-exposed. Then take your .avi. You can then use Registax to stack and careful use of wavelets should show some granulation - but don't be surprised if you can't see any! Its difficult to get without filters and a very steady atmosphere.

Well, just finished my solar session because the sun went behind a tree. On the picture I sent showing NASA's image there were 3 sunspots and I managed to image them which i'm very happy with. Will try and process some later and will post if I do :hello2:

Well done. I was out earlier and managed to see the three sunspots. My first time doing anything like this and it was great.

Tried a couple of full disk images with with my DSLR and some of the sunspots with my Titan. Far too windy to get anything decent but Ill have a look a processing them later and see what comes up. Look forward to seeing your attempts :hello2:

Well done. I was out earlier and managed to see the three sunspots. My first time doing anything like this and it was great.

Tried a couple of full disk images with with my DSLR and some of the sunspots with my Titan. Far too windy to get anything decent but Ill have a look a processing them later and see what comes up. Look forward to seeing your attempts :hello2:

Thanks and can't wait to see some of yours too. I have two questions, how do you make it look yellow/orange and how do you do daytime polar alignment with an eq2 mount? Thanks and might only be able to show single frames but will try :D

Thanks mate.

Im not too sure how to make it look orange/yellow, hopefully someone will let us know :hello2:

With polar alignment I just sat my tripod and mount facing north using some markers that I use and that seemed to work for me.

Archived