Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting Linky

I have noticed that FLO's website is receiving regular visits from links placed on members websites and from Links posted in threads on other forums (you know who you are :lol:).

Thank you :D

In return, if you send me a link to your astro website and a banner (if you have one) I will be pleased to place it on FLO's Links page.

Thanks to Grant's (Isee Online) web-design expertise and advice, FLO has a good Google rating and the Links page enjoys regular traffic.

Steve, I'm starting to appreciate all the problems in constructing a website. I'm having a go along with my son in starting a business selling showers and bathroom fittings online so I've been spending a lot of time browsing sites for ideas. Hopefully we'll be up and running by the end of the month but I can appreciate the struggle you must have in running your business and keeping the webbie updated, all I can say is well done mate.

Thanks Zog,

Data entry is the most arduous! It can take hours staring at the screen simply to list one product range. I gaze out of the window occasionally, just to check I can still focus on infinity!

After saying that, nothing beats running your own company - I can turn up for work wrecked after a night observing without getting a ticking off :lol:

Wish you and your Son good luck and good fortune.

If I can help, give me a call :D

You need an XML RSS feed from your supliers Steve!

Thanks Gordon, I'll come back with an intelligent response ..... after I have spoken with Grant :D

Celestron aside, it is difficult enough getting good stock images (and when I do, a competitor cuts and pastes them into his website :lol:).

Steve, whoever designed your website should be able to disable the right click function on the site to stop folk stealing your images. I'm sure my mate knows how to do this, I'll have a word.

Zog, this is possible but is very rarely used these days because it just doesn't work, there are at least 3 ways to get to the image even when right click is disabled:

Turn off Javascript - this lets you right click again

View Page Source - Copy the image addresses directly

Page Info - In firefox, if you click page info in the tools menu then click on the media tab it gives you a list of all of the images used in a page with a save button next to each one.

The best way to protect your images is to use a .htaccess file to check the referrer header sent by browsers, if the header doesn't match your own website then you know people are reading the image from a different website, then you can send them to an image saying "hotlinking disabled". This is the best technique but its still not foolproof and doesn't stop people downloading the image and uploading it elsewhere.

With the internet I tend to go with the philosophy that if you put something online then if somebody wants it, they'll get it and unless you want to take people to court its just something you have to live with. As the music/film industry have learnt, except they do go to court.

Cheers,

Grant

Taken on board Grant, it's a few years since I had anything to do with websites so the technology will have moved on. In that case Steve, an electronic watermark in the images (website url ?) sounds the best idea.

Archived