Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Stars - why all the excitement?

Simms

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose they were among the first objects, I looked at, with optical aid: Mizar & Alcor, Theta Tauri. (Like AGS) I get a sense of our solar system's scale in the wider universe. Ignoring the presumed hazards, who would not LOVE a (Star Wars) "Tatooine", double-Sun, in the skies. Contrasting shadows, even... :)

I suppose they were among the first objects, I looked at, with optical aid: Mizar & Alcor, Theta Tauri. (Like AGS) I get a sense of our solar system's scale in the wider universe. Ignoring the presumed hazards, who would not LOVE a (Star Wars) "Tatooine", double-Sun, in the skies. Contrasting shadows, even... :)

As a wedding photograper I get annoyed contending with a single sun - the thought of two of them casting multiple shadows and different white balances required for each makes me shudder.

I love the thought of Earth-like planets in widely-separated binaries. The distant companion star would move so slowly it would take centuries of primitive visual observation to discover that what seemed to be the brightest of the 'fixed stars' actually moves like a planet. Then in the space age sending a probe to the companion star would be a major science priority.

Solar observers would be able to have fun both day and night... although they would use larger aperture scopes than 40mm PST for the night sun.

Observing doubles appeals to me for a number of reason..

Namely the actual planning of which targets to go for, then there is the hunt for the group, puts your star-hopping skills to the test..

Next is the ability of your scope, can you see a definite split..is collimation acurate enough etc..

Then viewing the pair itself, the contrasting colours if any, can be a delight..

good thread and as the moon was fullish last night it was double star splitting night in Surrey, with a few occassional peeks at Saturn and the moon.

double stars are great for those nights when the moon knocks out those DSOs.

just mixes it up a bit

Archived