SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyWatcher Mercury 707 - comments?

If your interest at the moment is for moon and planets, i would look away from the 707 and even the ST80, look to a Maksutov or Newtonian. They give excellent planetary and lunar views, even in the cheaper models.

The Skymax 90 or Explorer 130P will give seriously good views, enough to get you hooked (if the interest is there). It will cost a few quid more but worth it.

I had one as a first scope. OK scope, terrible mount. I would avoid and either get a good pair of binoculars or save a little more for a better scope.

I've seen good second hand Tal reflectors with decent mounts go for less than the Mercury 707 on ebay. Might be a good choice if you're patient.

I would stay away from small Achromatics if I were you. My son had the Astromaster 70AZ for Christmas and it is absolutely pants!!! You can have a look at the moon, larger planets & open clusters but that's it. I found my Celestron 15x70's gave better views of more things.

I too started with a Celestron 70 AZ, the OTA is just about OK for bright objects and the moon but this scope taught me the mount is at least as important as the scope.

This Skywatcher looks to be on the poorest quality tripod.

Avoid.

For this money the binoculars would be much bettter quality. I enjoy the view through my bins considerably more than swearing at the Celestron's poor mount and focuser which look better quality than those on this scope.

Refering back to you original post; it would be a shame if you do not get bitten by the bug BECAUSE of this scope. I came close to jacking it in because of the poor mount on the Celestron

Now I love nothing better than staring at M13 through the big dob, amazing!!

The telescope is for a present (I'm already bitten by the bug). He already has some (medium and low power) binoculars. I think part of the present is the "wow a telescope" factor.

If I thought that it would get a lot of use I'd happily spend more but it may be another present that sits in a cupboard after the first month!

I did wonder whether the Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube would be a good option but then I'm starting to get into the "well for just a little more...." teritory!

I looked into the Heritage for a grab and go scope and all I got was good feedback. For £130 ish you will open up many more options than the 707 could offer plus if it ever did end up in the cupboard at least it wouldn't use up a lot of space :)

I think part of the present is the "wow a telescope" factor.

I did wonder whether the Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube would be a good option but then I'm starting to get into the "well for just a little more...." teritory!

As I got the Celestron as a "WOW a telescope" present I am not sure I can say it's a bad idea as it really got me interested. I was lucky enough tp be able to upgrade quite quickly, otherwise I think I would have been put off. I can't speak for the 130p but bigger is generally better

Archived