Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

power supply to observatory - How?

skippyinspace

As you know from my other posts, I currently have a pier and a goto system, That in the next month or so will get installed in the garden and placed under a tempory cover until the funds become available for what will probbably be an Alexanders observatory.

My question is the location of the obs will be 10m from either the out house or the main house. So how do I get power from them to the obs on a permanant basis.

1) Get a sparky to rig up an overhead system?

2) dig a trench, then get the sparky in?

3) Run an extension cable from the house to the shed but that doesnt help with lights?

4) Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

If you are having anything "permanent" ie wired in rather than an extension lead, then you have to use a Sparky (Code P or some such qualification?) to either do the install or check and certify your own work - so you might as well get them to do the job. I don't think "overheads" are approved of these days,so it would have to be a trench/armoured cable.

I shall be running an armoured cable underground from the house (also about 10m) into a two way consumer unit with RCD & circuit breakers to supply power and lighting circuits.

Just to clarify that overhead supplies & Buried or clipped ( secured ) SWA cables are fine , so long as they comply to bs7671 2008 and have been tested as per the same regs ( also part p of the building regs ) . Hope this helps ,Rob.

Option 2 with armoured cable buried 18" deep. I'm having to do the same for my wifes workshop 10m from our house, plus extra fuse boards. I obviously will make use of this in the future.

Just to clarify that overhead supplies & Buried or clipped ( secured ) SWA cables are fine , so long as they comply to bs7671 2008 and have been tested as per the same regs ( also part p of the building regs ) . Hope this helps ,Rob.

Got it in one!

• 3 months later...

Ended up having to get my house rewired and part of it was running a new supply to the garrage, So the sparky was kind enough to run the cable via the area that I have cleared for the observatory, He has put some sort of box where the observatory is going so that the internal wiring can be done.

Still trying to fiqure if its going to be an Alexnaders, Taylors or a home brew. But first I have to buold the patio around the Ped.

Ian

Probably the easiest option in the long run! The sparky should provide a seperate isolator at the house end so you can "switch off" the supply to outside (if you see what I mean) when you need to.

While you have a trench (if you do!) run some 30mm or so pipe down it so you can install "future" cables like a computer link - much easier now than having to dig everything up again.

If you don't need a permanent connection, a caravan hook-up lead would resolve the issue, just roll it out and plug it in when required. However, there is nothing like a proper armoured cable buried and 'forgotten' but if you take the latter route do take heed of Bizibilder's advice about future proofing for data/burglar alarm etc.

I've yet to dig my trench and bury an armoured mains cable and a pipe for data cables. Whilst I might use a wireless LAN link I want a cable link for CCTV so I'll probably use a wired LAN since there's a "hole" to feed it through.

Archived