Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ATIK 320E?

lukebl

I have DSI III Pro, which has the same CCD as 314L+, but it's not cooled. In summer it would be nice to have it, but still it's quite usable. $550-$600 from Cloudynights or Astromart.

Other options is to maybe wait for the hyperstar Atik cameras. One of them should have the 320E sensor, while another one ICX625 - 2/3" in size (like in 314L+) but with small pixels.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have DSI III Pro, which has the same CCD as 314L+, but it's not cooled. In summer it would be nice to have it, but still it's quite usable. $550-$600 from Cloudynights or Astromart.

Other options is to maybe wait for the hyperstar Atik cameras. One of them should have the 320E sensor, while another one ICX625 - 2/3" in size (like in 314L+) but with small pixels.

When the cooler on my 16HR failed (repaired by return post by Rui Tripa of Atik) it was not viable in the summer at all. The Meade does have some cooloing though?

Olly

I would say, if possible Luke, stretch to get the 314l. There's just so many world class images, especially compared to the 320E.

Many threads I've seen where someone has sold a 314 or 16HR for another camera, have said they've regretted it. The only reason I can see to upgrade from a 314 is for more real estate chip size wise. Almost nothing else compares sensitivity wise atm.

I'm no expert though, only from what I've read.

Jordan

Thanks Jordan. Yes, I know the 314L is the one to go for. It's just that, as I said, I was keen to see if there were benefits in the smaller pixels of the 320. However, the lower sensitivity of the 320 has put me off.

The thing is, I have received a modest bequest from someone who insists that I spend it on something I really want and would otherwise not be able to get (i.e. I'm not allowed to use it to pay the bills. fine by me!), so I'm probably treating myself to the 314L.

I really need to buy it second-hand, but I know they are like hen's teeth. However, if anyone does have an Atik 314L or HR16, or a Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, the money's burning a hole in my pocket right now!

Archived