NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What a night for First Light!

Johnny Hormone

Finally, after 2 months of owning my little Skywatcher 130PM, it has been out and first light has been had!

Despite my leg still in cast, I enlisted a friend to assist and we set up at 8 this evening. Naturally much of the time was spent with the moon - well it was its big night :lol: !!! It looked fantastic pre the eclipse, and the colours and detail during the evening were truely great.

As the sky darkened we swung round to look at a sight I have been waiting to see since Christmas... :saturn:

Boy was that worth the wait, absolutely amazing and time just disappeared.

We took a quick look towards M42 and played with the packaged x2 Barlow for fun, before returning to the Moon in time to see its "reappearance" and have a play with the Philips webcam... I think I have a long way to go, not least in learning to enhance the images, but for a first go it was fun in itself and a first image in the collection :D

1.jpg

Anyhow, back in at 01.30, frozen to the core but with a big grin on my face!

I am looking forward to lots of time with my little scope, bins and camera, but I know at some point a larger beast with a more substantial mount is a must!

Congratulation's on your first light - could'nt have picked a better night for it.

I'm no expert but that image looks pretty good for a first effort to me. 10/10 for going out observing with your leg in plaster - that's dedication.

I was looking at getting a Skywatcher Explorer 130PM as a first scope myself until I switched my attention to the Skyliner dob's -I still like the look of the 130 PM though.

Enjoy your new (2 month old) kit.

Scott

I was amazed at what I was able to see with it Geppetto, it really is amazing that such a small scope can show so much and in fine detail too.

Desperate to get back out there and have another go, but with this rain and heavy cloud I guess it could be a while.

But for a first time out, just brilliant :lol:

Archived