Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fibreglass utility buildings

lguise

I have often wondered about converting a fibreglass building into an Observatory and have spent time trawling the internet for the sort of shed sized buildings used to cover electrical systems. So far I have not found a supplier.

Last week heading North up the M5, South of Bristol I saw an excellent looking dark green pitched roof building probably around 3mx2.5m just on the side of the Motorway. Not sure what it was enclosing. I will try to get a photo in a couple of weeks when I go back that way.

I just wondered if anyone within the electrical supply industry or road construction knows who supplies these? I would appreciate a link or any information.

Many thanks,

Linton

Not sure what it was enclosing. I will try to get a photo in a couple of weeks when I go back that way.

I just wondered if anyone within the electrical supply industry

Linton

May have enclosed a scope, you never know, but the light pollution must be awful!

Make sure you stop to take the photo, or let Yvette take it while you're keeping eyes on the motorway!

Bear in mind if you cut the top off to make a ROR it will make the shed very weak and wobbly - the roof is a major part of the structure. You will need to add reinforcement to stiffen it up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the link. I am not looking to cut the roof off, this is for a complete roll away. I used to have a small wooden one that people thought was a large dog kennel! It rolled off the mount and I used to carry the tube out. Now thinking of a larger version to house a complete Newtonian.

Yvette will try to get that photo.

Linton

Archived