What rocks, what sucks...

What Rocks::)

My first scope will be dilivered today and waiting for me when i get back from work

What sucks: :(

just had a look at the weather for the rest of the week, clouds and rain!

Ah, but. The advantage of a new scope and bad weather is play time. By the time decent clear weather comes, whenever, you'll know the scope & mount. You don't mention mount or scope - or perhaps the ancient eyeballs missed that.

I beleive it's the wives that bring the rain when a new scope arrives. That way you have a chance of getting the "honey do" list completed before you get to use the scope.The number of days of rain is always proportional to what's left to go on the list. You better get to work on that list!

well i dont live with my girlfriend just yet so no "to do" list to distract me. however having looked at how to collimate my scope has daunted me a little to say the least, and i foolishly didnt get a collimator with my scope!

I beleive it's the wives that bring the rain when a new scope arrives. That way you have a chance of getting the "honey do" list completed before you get to use the scope.The number of days of rain is always proportional to what's left to go on the list. You better get to work on that list!

So true but I never realised the list wasn't infinite! :)

well i dont live with my girlfriend just yet so no "to do" list to distract me. however having looked at how to collimate my scope has daunted me a little to say the least, and i foolishly didnt get a collimator with my scope!

I was pretty daunted too, still dont have it quite sussed yet. I didnt get a collimator either but did make a collimating cap. Depending on who you ask some say get one others say dont bother.....Ill get one eventually but a Telrad is top of my list

If, as one n00b to another, I may be so bold; I'd suggest as others have, that you make use of the daylight and blank cloudy skies to learn and finesse collimation.

Hell, it's not fun, but it's important and a damn site easier to do and learn about in daylight.

Don't beat yourself up about the cloud. That's my fault as a result of having collimated my scope yesterday to make use of the few hours of darkness available at this time of year. I have broad shoulders and can take the heat for both of us.:)

Russell

So true but I never realised the list wasn't infinite! :)

Oh, but it is SO infinite! The eternal suffering of Hell is nothing compared to the 'when you get a minute' list!

I've got the same scope as you and didn't bother with a Collimator. Everything is pin sharp through the EP's anyways. I will get one eventually when it needs to be done. Rather save my money for a telrad and EP's at the moment. I have to agree with you though. Reading the manual it looks very complicated and I'm dreading the day it needs doing.

Have a go looking at the moon. It's visible in the south quite high up from about 830pm (used my moon filter for the firs time which makes a difference). You will get lost in the craters

Leigh

Yeah Im sure its a matter of trial and error, like tuning a guitar before playing. I wont be able to have a proper play untill the weekend, Will keep you updated on my progress

the 'when you get a minute' list!

"When you get a MINUTE"??!! To quote Monty Python - you lucky, lucky, b*****d!!!

I've got the "When you get a couple of weeks of leave - you DID book it, didn't you?" list. Currently it includes:

- dig out space for 8 x 10 concrete base in side of hill

- lay 8 x 10 concrete base for shed

- move shed from existing location (what do you mean it won't have electricity when it's moved?)

- take up old concrete base

- tidy up space left so we can use it as a drive

- hire mini-digger to redo the garden - this is the same garden that we redid last year...

- stake out and fence space for chickens next to shed "because little Emily will love them" (yeah, and I bet she'll love mucking the buggers out, too).

On the plus side, anything that requires less work than shifting say, 5 tonnes of hardcore / rubble by bucket / barrow before lunch has lost the ability to shock any more...

Still, at least I've got a scope and about every three months the skies are clear enough to use it - or would be if I hadn't collapsed in bed at 10pm.

I love my family

I love my family

I love my family

glad i'm not on my own...................the 'list'

always there, always will be..............& always with the grotty job on it that keeps getting pushed to the back of the list

but at the mo, i'm still without scope (not too long) so i'm busy busy busy......happiness is a short list

Archived