Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with WO FLT98 - M13

steppenwolf

I'm still waiting for an upgraded focuser for my new WO FLT98 refractor but a gap in the clouds was just what I needed to at least get a feel for what the optics were like. 20 X 120 sec. with my SXVF-H9 and an ATIK IR filter through a rather murky sky before the clouds once again closed in on me!

m13_270511_l.jpg

Looking very good, Steve. Nicely resolved into the core with shapely stars abounding. It has a great reputation, this scope, and I'm sure you'll love it.

The diff spikes - are they add ons or arising from some other source? They don't detract, I'm just curious. I sometimes get just two on my refractors, symmetrically each side of the star.

Olly

The diff spikes - are they add ons or arising from some other source?
Part and part, Olly. To produce this image I blended a 'standard' version and a DDP processed version together and the DDP version had accentuated a tiny amount of diffraction that was on the original image, caused I suspect by the IR filter (see attached image). I decided that it was, therefore, fair game to overlay a more controlled set of diffraction spikes over the top of the image!

post-13675-133877610103_thumb.jpg

Nice! That's going to be an awesome setup, can't wait to see some colors!

Regarding the diffraction-spikes, I'm getting weak spikes from bright stars with my QSI583wsg, both using the 190MN & FSQ106EDX, always symmetrical with the imaging-sensor (up/down/left/right), which gets stronger when applying DDP. The spikes (in my case) are artifacts 'caused by the microlensing on the sensor, becoming more evident using fast focalratios

Archived