Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best galaxy at the moment?

Hi there

I have been out 5 times since i have gotten my scope, i have managed to find 5 messier objects so far + 1 planet. All of the messier objects have been globular clusters,

so i want to go on a hunt for some galaxies now.

Which galaxies are easiest to find on the current night sky? Im under slight light pollution and using a 8" dob.

Bit of a cheat, but Virgo is prominent at this time and there is the Virgo cluster of galaxies. They occur across Virgo and Coma Bernicies.

Alternative way to find is locate the tail end of Leo, draw a line joining the 2 end stars and from the centre go perpendicular to the imaginary line and in the "blank bit the cluster appears.

The guide I have indicates about 15 but I think there are more.

Can be seen through binoculars easily.

Cant really miss M51 either quite bright and unmistakable. Try M63 too just across from 51 again nice and bright. On the other side of Alkaid you should probably get M101 again quite easy to spot.

Good luck

Cheers

A small but bright galaxy is M94, almost overhead late evening in May. If you find

the bright naked eye double star Cor Caroli ( Alpha Cannes Venatici ) on your star

chart, M94 lurks not far away.

Regards, Ed.

Some good ones here however I would say M101 is one of the most difficult to resolve if you have a LP problem, it will be a test of site and conditions for sure, averted vision helps along with tapping the scope and introducing some movement. If you are up very late I think M31 should be visible.

I would say M94 as well. Unmistakable in the eyepiece and easy to find. M81 & M82 are very good too but can be a bit more difficult to locate, but well worth searching out.

I always find M51 a disappointment visually. It is very small and uninteresting in a small scope.

Some good ones here however I would say M101 is one of the most difficult to resolve if you have a LP

Agreed

I would say M94 as well. Unmistakable in the eyepiece and easy to find. M81 & M82 are very good too but can be a bit more difficult to locate, but well worth searching out.

I always find M51 a disappointment visually. It is very small and uninteresting in a small scope.

Agreed, again.

M 104 is always worth a look as are M65, M66 and M95,M96.

Archived