NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the future of CCD is here ??

beamish

Hmm, interesting, there's some comparison with bayer filtered cmos chips on wiki.

Foveon X3 sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be interesting if the three colours could be accessed and processed separately though.

What we REALLY need, is a chip that has narrowband filters built in and can capture three or four emission nebulae light at once!

Dya not think you could split the RGB in processing as you could with pics ATM and take it from there ?

I was quite taken with the idea of 3x layers, should certainly up the sensitivity over a bayered chip surely. Be very interesting to see if this idea is adopted further

Certainly looks good - would mean that there is no loss is resolution when using narrowband filters - you would still get 15mpixel when using Ha for example. Would love to see a cooled CCD Astro cam using this sensor.

Certainly looks good - would mean that there is no loss is resolution when using narrowband filters - you would still get 15mpixel when using Ha for example. Would love to see a cooled CCD Astro cam using this sensor.

I'd like to think so

I started a thread on Foveon chips a couple of months ago. The bottom line seems to be that they have high dark current (but no-one has tried to cool one), about 50% of the photosite is taken up by electronics and so the efficiency is reduced (but probably still better than Bayer RGB), and there is significant cross-talk between the colours (do we care?).

NigelM

Archived