Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American Nebula

ashworthacca

Last week the better half and I spent a week in south Wales and stayed in a very nice cottage near Amroth. Very nice weather but plenty of clouds but one night I managed to get the Astrotrac setup and shoot a few exposures. I maged 36 @ 90secs lights and 10 darks (no flats) on the North American Nebula. Here is what I have got so far but the noise is dreadful. The Canon 70-200F4 L Lens was used at f5.6 200mm but it does seem to elongate stars a tad......maybe it's just me.:)

5755437499_cdc12dcd33_z.jpg

NGC7000 North American Nebula by ashworthacca, on Flickr

Thanks for looking....anyone want the DSS autosave to play with give me a shout and I'll pop it on dropbox.

Regards

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not noise.... that's stars!!!! :-)

But seriously, very nice... looks great to me... gonna be having another stab at this target myself with the Eos 200mm f2.8 lens this week.

It's a great target for camera lenses!

Ben

Haha, thanks Ben but there is some dreadful colour banding in there that I need to address.

I'll keep a look out for your post:)

Nice & wide!

You've got some serious lenses there!!!

Love your Image-frame!

Some glow down under....have you tried adding more darks to take it off?

Thank you!!

I sometimes can't see the wood for the trees when I process my images, I didn't notice the glow at the bottom. I'll see if I have some more darks at the same temperature or take some more and see how that works....or run it through PixInsights DBE properly. :)

Martin, I might not be as knowledgeable as others when it comes to imaging but your picture (between the colour and sharpness) simply makes me want to stare,.. and stare,...

Shine on!

Isabelle

Isabelle, I'm really pleased that you like the image, it's really put a smile on my face. Thank you! :)

Lovely picture! I'd love to get an image like that. I have a 200mm APO lens for my Canon, though I haven't modded the camera (yet) - presumably modding the camera would be essential for this nebula?

Lovely picture! I'd love to get an image like that. I have a 200mm APO lens for my Canon, though I haven't modded the camera (yet) - presumably modding the camera would be essential for this nebula?

Thanks!:D

Getting your camera modded will increase it's sensitivity to HA but it certainly won't stop you from taking images much better than mine. You would just need to capture more data through longer/more subs.

Give it a go with your camera as is and see what you get.:p

awe shucks.....thanks everyone:D

Anna, just uploading to dropbox, I'll pm you the link in a short while. Sorry in advance for the dust bunnies.....I was on holiday and forgot to take my light sheet.:D

laser_jock99..Wales was absolutely tremendous and I will certainly be visiting again in the not too distant, the clear sky gods did shine down on me for that one day but what a day it was.

Olly, The distortion showing with the 70-200 is disappointing so I'll stop down a tad more to see if it helps as recommended. Looks like the 200mm prime is next on my list....oh and a dedicated ccd I've been eyeing up....oh yes and that.....well that's how it goes isn't it:p

Thanks again for the compliments guys, I'm not worthy in comparison to most but I'll gladly take them:D

Wow, you got all of it then :D thats a lot of stars, I bet that took an age to put through DSS. Just keep snapping more subs and the noise should die down a bit, have you done flat frames with your camera lens? That might help with the corners too.

Getting tough though, becuase the darkness is runnning out :p

Ah Cygnus... my fav constellation...

Nicely done..I havent paid it any attention this year yet and it will be a pity if the 70-200 f4L does need to be stopped down to f6.3 I haven't done much at all with mine yet...

Can I have a link to the data please Martin.. want to see what tricks if any can be used on the stars...

Peter...

Wow, you got all of it then :D thats a lot of stars, I bet that took an age to put through DSS. Just keep snapping more subs and the noise should die down a bit, have you done flat frames with your camera lens? That might help with the corners too.

Getting tough though, becuase the darkness is runnning out :p

Surprisingly it flew through DSS:) No flat frames though as I forgot to take the Light panel with me to Wales on hols where this image was taken.

I'm going to try and get more data on this but I'll have to go to a remote site as I can't see the east from my back garden:mad:

Ah Cygnus... my fav constellation...

Nicely done..I havent paid it any attention this year yet and it will be a pity if the 70-200 f4L does need to be stopped down to f6.3 I haven't done much at all with mine yet...

Can I have a link to the data please Martin.. want to see what tricks if any can be used on the stars...

Peter...

Thanks Peter, I'll pm you the dropbox link to the DSS autosave now.

:D

I did a quick run-through the DSS stack as I was making my daughter's birthday cake tonight. Never processed an image while icing a cake before :D

I might do a proper run-through tomorrow.

The resolution is low as I shrunk it down to 1/4 size to put it here on SGL. Thanks for letting me play with it.

post-24627-133877609567_thumb.jpg

I have made an attempt at reprocessing this image.....I'm not sure whether I'm making a complete hash of it or if it's an improvement. I find it difficult to know when to stop...

This is the reprocess

5764115335_70e8fb5b19_z.jpg

and here is the original

5755437499_cdc12dcd33_z.jpg

I've tried to remove the glow to the bottom right and add a little more contrast and saturation, I also thought a slightly bigger crop was needed.

Can anyone give an opinion on whether or not the reprocess is an improvement??

Thanks guys

Archived