Odd sky. Volcano?

ollypenrice

hi all, I don't normally do cloud pictures (bad for business!!!!) but these are new ones on me. The volcanic ash is not due for some time down here but this I have never seen before. The light was a spooky yellowish green. Any cloud experts out there? :)

Olly

Edit, south is roughly central. Could it be that little UFO causing the bother?

VERSION-1-WEB-XL.jpg

The met office said today the its going to hit North West Scotland and North Ireland tonight, brave statement considering they cant tell if its going to be sunny the next day or not.

I must say Olly your picture of the clouds looks like something from the movies, i'm expecting to see some jumbo sized UFO emerge from it. Olly are you still there OLLY !!!!!!, OLLY !!!!!!!

Indeed, mammatus it is. Well done lukebl. Oddly, I was reminded of other pendulous anatomical features but hey-ho!

No thunderstorms today but there was a monster storm yesterday with deafening sound. Very hot and sunny today with building thermic cloud, very much the summer norm. This usually drops out (along with all the hang gliders and paragliders) as the land cools.

We may be in for a lively night but all is now calm but very warm.

Olly

PS No worries, I'm still h

Saw these over the UK too, first time I have seen Mammatus in the 'flesh'. They followed on the back of the vicious storm which was centred in the north today.

I believe that ash clouds (that have travelled over distance) are supposed to create a fine ripple-type effect. I saw clouds last year that matched this description... I'll see if I can find anything to back up this vague memory of reading it somewhere...

PS:Nice pic. Is that a phoenix? :)

Edit: Aha, it was on SGL: http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/101726-volcanic-ash-cloud-over-uk.html

Archived