Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dob convert

bish

Hi all,

After years of using EQ mounts, and wondering what the fuss about dobs is I can see why now. I will still keep my 200p on EQ5 but don't think it will get used too much now I have the dob. Expect to use it for the times I get the webcam out. It took me about 2 minutes to get everything I need outside with the dob. Couldn't be easier to set up. The only thing I feel would be of benefit now is a telrad.

I could sit on my garden chair to look at Saturn, just moving the OTA a bit every so often to keep Saturn in the fov. My only slight quibble is the mount isn't as smooth as using my EQ. Not tracking isn't such an issue as I thought it might be.

It is quite a revelation using a dob or AltAz mounted scope after an EQ mounted one. I've not used my EQ5 in anger for visuals since April 2009. As yourself, it's just there for a spot of imaging (rare).

People are put off by having to nudge at high power but never found this a problem.

Have you made any mods to the base to improve the smoothness? Some really effective, simple and cheap mods available to improve the movements.

I would highly recommend the Telrad. Makes star hopping so much easier. Another worth while and simple job is to polish the under side of the base that makes contact with the teflon pads with some turtle wax. Really smooths the whole movement up.

Hi Bish

I know exactly what you mean I used to use only driven equatorial mounts because "You need one for serious astronomical study" Only to find upon buying a dob that you so don't need one at all.

I sold all my electrical dependent stuff and have never looked back. A Dobs just more relaxing, more laid back way of observing that I love.

I love the quick set up, ease of use, the comfort, and the freedom from messing about with a mount all the time (I always hated that polar aligning ceremony every time I wanted to observe).

All that breaking ya neck trying to look through a polar alignment scope used to seriously unrelax me.

Don't get me wrong I love Driven equatorials but now only one someone else has spent time messing about setting up.:eek:

Try some turtle wax on your mount, if it's not as smooth as you'd like.

Keep Dobbing

Regards Steve

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice about waxing the boards - I will definitely do that. Another thing I wont miss about the EQ is having to loosen the tube rings, twist the OTA and then tighten again when I go from one part of the sky to the opposite. I put some big scratches down my old OTA messing around doing that.

Archived