Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tmb planetaries in a fast newt

Hi Jake

They would be 'OK' but given your other eyepieces I think you'd be disappointed. Personally, I'd pay the extra and buy a used Radian as they would be a better buy and also have similar qualities to the TMB style eyepieces. I used them in the past a 'testers' to ensure I'd use an eyepiece in that focval length and then when I was convinced I got a TV. e.g. I had an 8mm TMB and then once happy eventually replaced it with a used 8mm Radian.

Hi Jake. I have two TMBs.

One is from the original TMB/Burgess planetaries. It's a 4mm and performs surprisingly

well ( when the atmosphere is steady enough to allow high mag ) in my F4.8 and F4

Newts.

The second is TMB planetary II, 6mm. It is ok in the centre of the field of view,

but image quality falls off quickly towards the edge. So I think it's better suited

to a longer focal ratio scope, or maybe a driven scope where the object stays in

the centre where the definition is best. Users of undriven scopes like mine often

allow objects to drift across before the next nudge.

But many are happy with the TMB II series, maybe there is some varying with

different batches of these.

HTH, Ed.

Thank you was only wondering as the 5mm nagler is good it's just I very rarely use tbh

So I'm considering selling it (again) just trying to find an ep that I could replace it with as it's a lot of money for something that is rarely used or perhaps I could just Barlow the 12t4 when I need to

Yeah maybe I will hold off on selling it for a couple of weeks see if it gets anymore use.

Maybe I will keep an eye open for a 5mm ortho then I could compare them

The Ortho will be as good as the Nagler (I've owned both) but the eye relief and very narrow (comparatively) field of view might be off putting. You could see if you could swap the Nagler for a different focal length one (7mm ?) if the focal length is wrong for you.

I'm not sure why you don't find it useful - 180x should be very usable in your 8" F/4.5, unless you just don't do higher power viewing that is :eek:

TMB wrote

"I tested the eyepieces down to f/6, and the edge of the field still showed a clean Airy disk. The design on the computer shows that it will be very clean even down to f/4."...

I find them them satisfactory in the same scope that you have, but orthos do seem to give more contrast on Jupiter and Saturn.

I find my TMBs better in slower scopes - they are excellent value for money, but do exhibit the flaws others have mentioned.

If you can lay hands on one, the Takahashi 5mm LE is a gem.

It shows 'perfect' images in every scope I've used it with - 7" f15, 12" f5, 5" f8 and 4" f6.

It has decent ER, about 12mm, but only a 52* FoV.

Another raved-about eyepiece is the 5mm Pentax XW, and while I can't fault the view, I find them to be very fussy about eye position giving blackouts and 'kidney beaning' if your eye isn't placed just-so.

Both the 12mm & 17mm T4's will Barlow extremely well.

I combine them with a 2"x2 Powermate, just superb, and so comfortable.

Regards Steve

That is my thinking as well i can keep the Er of the 12 and 17 with the Barlow

Archived