NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation 20x80 Vs Celestron 15x70 Binoculars

KEJ

Just my humble opinion and views, so my story so far, initially I was looking for a decent pair of Binoculars for a bit of night viewing and being new to Astronomy (as in months) decided to join this forum and seek some advice. The general consensus of opinion seemed to be for the new boys, go for handhelds and a pair of 10X50.

I did have a 10 year old pair of Praktica Sports HD 20X50 binoculars that had been dropped and the prisms were really out of alignment, but they had been very clear for the price, so decided to fix them, after locating the prisms adjustment screws and spending a good few hours, initially turning them the wrong way. That then determined my next choice, do I spend loads and ok you get what you pay for, but likewise I wanted something I could take on walks and not worry if they get broken, banged or stolen etc(mind if I catch them that’s a different story), so opted for some Praktica W10X50P and I have to be honest for the price £19.95 they are very good, I did also decide to replace my 20X50 with the same company for £24.95, but they are a slight disappointment, the older fixed ones are clearer and of better quality in my opinion, so currently discussing that with the supplier.

However, after further reading and the light pollution I suffer from here, decided to buy the Revelation 20X80 and the Celestron 15X70 Binoculars (don’t tell the wife), mind since they have arrived I have been suffering cloudy nights down here, not because of head injuries due to the wife finding out, but this weather. Therefore no joy testing the binoculars at night time and the reason I have got them in the first place for DSO’s.

However observations so far during the day:

Celestron 15 x 70 (£61.99 inc delivery & 10yr warranty, weight 1.3kg) Porro Bak4 prisms seem very clear and can be hand held for a time, although tripod mounted makes a big difference, I can just about read a road name sign about 850m away, wider field of view than the Revelations and lighter as you would expect.

They come with rubber lens covers and a material/Nylon shoulder carry bag and a plastic tripod adapter( which I have also hammered two long screws into each side which I was going to glue in after reading on here), but decided for a £10 I would order a new metal one. These I could also potentially take out on walks as a nice size to handle.

Revelation 20 X 80 (£78.78 inc delivery, weight 2.7kg) Porro Bak4 prisms again seem very clear, can be hand held for a very short time (don’t forget this is mostly horizontally at the moment), these really need to be Tripod mounted to get the best out of them. No need for a Tripod adapter with these as it’s built it, again good rubber lens caps and a carry case/box instead of a bag which offers more protection, although maybe not suitable for taking out walking, also a better wider more comfortable neck strap and eye rubbers seem of better quality and fold up and down easier. I would also say slightly better clarity on the road sign, although probably down to the magnification as you would expect and the extra 10cm. Earlier I was outside and I know Jets coming over from the states can start their approaches/descents pretty early, but with the naked eye you could have easily have missed this one, it appeared to be at 25K ft +, with the naked eye a small white plane, however looked through these and could clearly see it was a Virgin Jumbo heading towards London/East, see the engines and livery.

I have to be honest I really like both, because the apertures are so large they are also a bit more forgiving on the shakes, both are as crystal clear as each other I would say, one gets me slightly closer, the other a slightly wider field of view, so complement each other. I have included a few pictures taken side by side as it’s nice to know how they compare.

I have ordered a metal tripod adapter and a new Horizon Tripod as currently I have a smaller cheap camera tripod which is really not man enough for either of these.

Finally I now just need a clear night now to test them properly, although I suspect I am going to have to drive out onto the moors to reduce the light pollution, watch this space.

Just to give you an idea of what you get and size (pics not that great as I used my phone camera)

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11094-sidebysideall.jpg

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11095-sidebyside2.jpg

kej-albums-binos-picture11094-sidebysideall.jpg

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11096-sidebyside3.jpg

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11097-sidebyside4a.jpg

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11098-sidebyside4.jpg

Standard 10x50 compared to the big guns

kej-albums-binos-picture11118-threesidebyside.jpg

kej-albums-binos-picture11119-howtheycompare.jpg

kej-albums-saturn-march-27th-picture11093-tripod-adapter.jpg

Sunday Evening

I had a quick look around last night before the good old cloud appeared, the moon was also a bit bright and as my new tripod and metal adapter have not yet arrived I was lying flat on the patio with my dressing gown on at midnight, not a pretty sight and a bit Hill Billy Chilly. All that said the binoculars, both were very clear and I did also like the option to chop and change, it just took the wind out of my sales a bit when the cloud came over and maybe I should have gone out slightly earlier.

I know you possibly should not, but the firmer eye rubbers on the Celestron did help to support them when looking straight up, where as the Revelation softer eye rubbers fold more easily under pressure.

I will wait until the rest of the kit arrives before passing final comments and a full test, I think this will also have to be done out of town with less light pollution.

Tuesday – The Moon

The new Horizon Tripod arrived today, so around 20:30 I went outside and mounted the Revelation’s, I have to say the view of the moon (pretty much a first qrt I think) was outstanding and rock steady, even in a slight breeze. Definitely the clearest I have seen it with a pair of binoculars, maybe a combination of half decent binoculars, steady tripod and perfect weather initially.

Similarly the view with the Celestron’s although slightly more movement in the breeze probably due to them being lighter and that plastic adapter (still waiting for the metal one to arrive). Again clarity wise both excellent and the softer rubber eye cups on the Revelations when tripod mounted are spot on, these did tend to fold slightly when hand held looking vertically for longer periods as you relaxed your arms. The Horizon Heavy Duty Tripod I also like on its first outing.

First impressions, for the moon 1 – 0 to the Revelations, although I will repeat with the metal binocular adapter arrives. But a combination of steadiness and I think that extra X5 magnification along with the extra 10mm possibly give them the edge.

And by no means perfect, this was just hand holding my old samsung digimax S600 camera to the eye piece, set on Auto (

In all honesty the picture does not do either pair of binoculars justice, but gives you a rough idea of the detail)

kej-albums-binos-picture11185-moonrev.jpg

Friday

Learnt the hard way when the Moon is bright, DSO's take flight, that I think was a major factor and possibly light pollution here - tried M51 with the big guns, but with the moon just sat there decided to get the webcam out for Saturn instead

It is good to see a side by side comparison of these two sets of binoculars. It is clear that they are both made by the same company as they look very much alike.

I really enjoyed using my pair of Celestron 15x70s right up until they unfortunately broke at the eyepiece holder. I now lack a set of binos and would love a new set but I shouldn't be spending money at the moment really. They really shone at a dark sight but they performed admirably from my back garden on the edge of town. I never did get round to buying a tripod (money again :p) but I had some great times just sitting in a cahir or on the ground looking up and taking in the widefield views :D

I have been having tons of fun with my Omegon 15x70 (= Revelation = Celestron), for very little money. As I have written in a number of observing reports from the southern hemisphere, they are brilliant tools for hunting the brighter DSOs. I picked up some 20 DSOs (16 new) in one night down in Sydney.

Having said that, I just had a look through Orion Resolux 10.5x70s (= APM = Teleskop Service) nitrogen-filled individual focusing bins, and they offer seriously better quality views. Of course, they cost a lot more, and are a good deal heavier. I am gunning for a 15x70 Resolux/APM/TS (10.5x70 is a bit big in terms of exit pupil), mainly because I use the bins so much it is worth the investment for me.

In the mean time, I will have fun with the Omegon pair. Excellent value for money, those.

Tim Hi

Yes I agree, they seem very good value and very portable due to the weight as well.

Tom Hi

Mine and I believe the Uk purchased ones come with a 10yr warranty, have you contacted Celestron?

Michael Hi

Yes they do look the same, although I only looked quickly first price priced at 89 euro, about £78 so slightly more expensive, although a good hunt around might save a few bob. For mine £62 was the cheapest advertised I could find.

Thanks

When I bought them, the Omegons and Celestrons were the same price, and the Celestron I first got was faulty (they did not have a replacement Celestron in stock, so sent me the Omegon instead, with my consent; got there two days later, just in time for the summer holidays). The exchange rate plus high transport costs from the UK to the Netherlands meant the UK suppliers were more expensive for me.

Extract from Bristol Camera's website dated: 20th April 2009

Question: Have the Konus Giant 20x80 binoculars BAK4 or BAK7 optics?

Bristol Cameras Answer: Hi, these binoculars have BaK7 prisms

Ive had the revalation 20x80s for about a year now and Ive been really impressed.

The orion nebula is great through these as the whole of the sword fits in the eyepiece with the nebula in the middle, and on a tripod they are really impressive. Although you are limited as to how high you can look up when on the tripod as with all binoculars without an angled eyepiece.

Off the tripod you can use them for short periods but if you have a small build I think this would be difficult.

One thing that swayed my choice over the celestrons is I thought the cross brace between the objective lenses would help make them more rigid and keep alignment.

Tom Hi

Mine and I believe the Uk purchased ones come with a 10yr warranty, have you contacted Celestron?

Thanks

Sorry, only just re read this thread and saw your post :)

I haven't thought about that as I assumed it was something of my own fault or something to do with the way they were packed for my holiday. Looking at the box does indeed reveal something about a warranty but unfortunately I seem to have lost any piece of paper detailing it if there was in fact one in the box at all.

The website of Celestron states:

Warranty outside the U.S.A. and Canada is valid only to customers purchased from a Celestron Distributor or Authorized Celestron Dealer in the specific country and please contact them for any warranty service.

I purchased my set from FLO during their promotion at the end of last August. I assume then that I should go through them for any sort of warranty service. I still don't know whether Celestron would see the damage as my fault or as a manufacturing fault.

Tom

No problem, hopefully if at least if you have a credit card bill or the original invoice as proof of purchase and I would give them a call.

Just get the process going, obviously they are going to ask what happened was it a manufacturing fault or just wear and tear, however goods should be fit for purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

They have been sent back to FLO, no sign of a refund just yet, it was said to a cheque as my payment card had expired but haven't had anything in the post. I will leave it a while before asking about it.

Anyway I have gone and bought myself a replacement 2nd hand pair from Nightfisher. They look to be in good condition and I am eagerly anticipating their arrival sometime in the week, I really miss the grab n go convenience that a pair of mid-sized binoculars provided. Sometimes I can't be bothered to drag out the dob even though it has a better light grasp which is all important in light-polluted towns like where I live. There have been many times where I would've liked to have gone onto the front and taken a peek at the patch of low down sky in the south that nestles for a hour or so between two houses before disappearing, with a dob there is the cooldown element and the extra accessories needed for a session that a lot of the time I can't be doing with.

Tom

Fingers crossed and it will be interesting to see how (FLO)they deal with you, a good test of their customer service, please let us know.

I must admit I know what you mean with being portable, yesterday evening I popped up on the Hoe with mine, just having a look around at ships and landmarks certainly gives you a different insight and as you say grab and go.

• 3 months later...

Now talk about service, I emailed Telescope House just now and within the hour they replied and will send me out a replacement case next week.

Thats what you call service.

Interesting review, my pair of Celestron 15 x 70 binoculars unfortunately broke when accidentally trod on at a Star Party.

I recently found the box and noticed the box has printed on it "No Fault Limited Lifetime Waranty", so I looked up the customer service details on David Hinds who are the Celestron Distributer for the UK, I discovered that Celestron's customer service for the 15 x 70's in the uk is provided by Hama UK Ltd. I sent Hama a quick email explaining the circumstances; a few moments later I received a very prompt response and was told to return them to Hama for repair or replacement. I only sent them yesterday, so will let you know what happens.

My pair are about 3 or 4 years old from Argos when they sold them, I miss them as I found them a fantastic pair of bins and easy to hold by hand. I'm looking forward to seeing what Hama decide to do, oh and I haven't been asked for any receipt - just as well as I don't have it.

Phil

For those who would like the return address for Celestron binoculars in the UK it is

Les Morris - Hama UK Ltd

Unit 4 Cherrywood

Chineham Business Park

Basingstoke

Hants

RG24 8WF

It goes without saying to be sure you enclose a letter explaining the problem and detailing your home address for return.

If you have a faulty Celestron product you need to contact your supplier because only they will know where it was sourced and where it should be returned. (The majority of Celestron kit sold in the UK is imported and distributed through DHinds, not Hama, but DHinds will want you to arrange return through one of their dealers).

HTH

Thanks for clearing that up Steve.

I received a brand new replacement pair yesterday.

What this proves is that Celestron has a fantastic customer service; I dont know if Revelations Customer service is as good, and so if anyone has had experience with Revelations Customer service that would be interesting to compare.

Archived