Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Right angled finder

Can any recommend a good right angled finder? i dont mind paying a good price up to £150:00 but do i need to pay this for a good finderscope?

i need right angle because i'm fed up of craning my neck to get a good veiw because my current finder is straight through, i dont want a Telrad yet these present me with the same issue.

Ray :D

The Skywatcher 9x50 RA is very good. It's the same as the Orion but cheaper. Excellent optics.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_9x50_Right_Angled_Erect_Image_Finder___Bracket.html

Stellarvue is also excellent but very hard to get hold of nowadays in the UK. The Antares isn't as good and is more expensive.

My favourite would be the Baader, but it's over £200.00 :D

John

Thanks guy's does the Skywatcher allow the angle of the eyepeice to be swiveled or is it fixed, looks a real option though i have looked at others with exchangable eyepieces, not sure if these offer anything over a finder like the Skywatcher.

Any veiws, ahem pardon the unintended pun.

Ray

The idea of finders are to give you low powers to find objects over a large area of sky. I don't understand the reasoning for having interchangeable EP's on finders as it can be done easier swapping between the finder view and the the OTA view. As regards RA finders you will soon find you need a red dot finder of some sort as you simply can't find anything with a RA finder by itself.

Yes; agreed Spacboy, however the point of the right angled finder is to get away from the contortions when my reflector is in an awkward position, the red dot finder ( one of which i already own) gives me the same problem as a striaght through finder.

Ray

I understand where you are coming from but there is unfortunately no way around it. Moonshane even tried a RA telrad and found it impossible to use and that has no magnification at all. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/122598-review-telrad-dew-shield.html You will always have to use the RD first and then jump on the RA finder. BUT as you say due to OTA position the finder ends up in some awkward positions and if you try turning the RA finder to a more comfortable position you will loose the zero on the target.

I've used an astro engineering retro kit on my Meade finder scope for many years , looks just like the SW item. Work really well and a great investment for relatively humble money. Works well on my SCT LX200 as loads of room.

I dont generaly have an issue with finding a target once i can get my eye to the finder, i suspect that it's easier with a straight through because you can line it up roughly by eye, the right angled finder must be a little more difficult in this respect.

i know that some RA finders allow you to rotate just the eyepiece without loseing the target (the manufacturers say!!)

I have to say John; the Baader looks the D B...£220:00 is more than i want to pay.

Have you got a link to the Astro engineering solution Multi coated, i can't seem to find the kit your refering too.

Ray

Hi Libraryman , sorry I've no link to the item , can't find it on the web but bought it from Telescope House , Astro Engineering are not showing it on their website but it's 100% their product.... I ' ll keep looking.

Yes Spaceboy our posts crossed, the Altair item looks good, as you say not cheap.

With all things it's a case of cost vs compromise: i have ltd funds like most people and want to buy the best i can afford without paying for features i dont need, Altair TS or Skywatcher Mmmm?

Ray

Very nice!! They have the 12 x 80 on the Altair website and from what I can tell of the pictures there is a thumb screw on the side of the diagonal/OTA which I would assume to be the locking nut to enable rotation. I must admit even with the prices involved I'm still dubious to if it will remain zeroed after rotating the EP several time ??

Yes the Altair is nice, i acknowledge your sentiment, i'm looking for a reveiw on the Altair 10x60 it looks idetical to the TS 9x60 and slightly cheaper with the included illuminator, i wonder if the optics are the same quality though.

This is going to drive me crackers..i know it!!

Ever thought about making/assembling your own?

Keep an eye out for 2nd hand or broken big bincs. Unscrew the lens barrel from the bincs prism body, add an adapter(a friendly machinist could make one up at no great cost), add a diagonal(if you prefer 90 degree views), a x-hair eyepiece and you're sorted.

It'll save you a fortune and the views will be great.

I've got two 80mm, a 60mm and a 50mm done this way. All can be used straight through or 90 degrees.

Andy.

60mm diy finder, with options of straight through or 90 degrees.

5663853786_145a0c9228_m.jpg

All the bits, ready for assembly

5663262911_5a70da3c8f_m.jpg

I might give this a try Andy; i have an old pair of 12x50 bino's the objectives are nothing to shout about but it will allow me to try out the idea during the summer months without spending too much.

Ta Ray

I'd like some advice on finderscopes as well. I just went ahead and made a purchase, the Explore Scientific illuminated finderscope and I was completely disappointed!

The rotary on/off switch on the illumination is fairly cheap, causing the red light to go on-off when turned to increase-decrease the led. In addition, I noticed that the reticle pattern is clear when looking dead-center in the viewfinder, however the edges of the pattern are somewhat blurred and I need to move my eye left-right to get it to clear the edges but then the center pattern goes blurry!

Closing, I noticed the finderscope suffers from the kidney bean effect!! When looking through the finderscope, and directing my eye to the left or right of the field, it would go black! I couldn't believe I was experiencing this through a finderscope!

Does all the above sound normal to you all or is it just me and my eye that are problematic ?

I haven't used a finderscope before so I can't compare it in any way.

Thanks for your time!

Chris.

Archived