Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New focuser for 130P

I want to change the focuser on my SW130P, after using my 200P Dob and then having a night with the 130P i just reliesed how bad it is and would like to change it.

Looked on FLO and can't seem to find any replacement for that size scope, dont want to spend big money on it just something a little more smoother, any thoughts guys?:)

looks like we could be stuck with them guys......

If any of yours has become a little slack as you focus (mine did) that is an easy repair with small strips of velcro, the soft part, see Astro babys site to show you how.......i think it was there i seen it

What ever you decide it's not for the faint hearted. As far as I am aware most crayford focuser's require you to hack away at your OTA to get them to fit. One mistake and you can kick yourself black and blue but there's no fixing it. This is a good Link for Kevdan and it might give the rest of you some idea what is involved. http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/119323-fitting-2-focuser-skywatcher-150pl-newt-ota.html Teleskop have various adapter plates that may enable you to fit a DS focuser to a 130p but you would be best contacting them to confirm that but either way it would not be a cheap upgrade. It is possible to make adjustments to help the smoothness of R&P focuser's that only costs a few pounds but you will never get rid of backlash. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/108814-how-improve-rack-pinion-focuser.html

Hope this helps

SPACEBOY

SW focuser replacements can be found here:

Skywatcher

They start at fittings for 150mm (6") and upwards. I've never seen one for the 130mm I'm afraid - but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere.

In all honesty the 130mm newtonian is in the "first scope" category and there's probably not a lot of point upgrading it cos focusers tend to be expensive (allmost the same value as an entire 130mm scope/tripod combination).

Probably better to sell on and upgrade the scope - often they come with dual speed or low profile focusers if you're lucky. You can also find great s/h bargains periodically in the for sale section.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for all the help guys but i thought it might have been a long shot, i have been thinking about an upgrade to a 150P but i want to keep using the AZ goto mount that the 130P is on but i think the 150 would be a little to heavy for this mount, otherwise its a complete new goto setup....wont get away with that

• 1 year later...

Archived