Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12V distribution box ideas?

Sick of (perhaps laudable?) dodgy "cigar" connectors, I'm moved to try to improve my 12V power distribution. Just buying di-cast boxes and sockets from Maplins, but looking for general inspiration. I SENSE an ad-hoc standard of using XLR (audio?) connectors for 12V power distribution has now emerged? These seems OK for upto 20A? Any real electrical engineer's advice or comments? :)

XLR's are fine... good GP "pro-spec" connector and latching as well...
Looks good to me :)
Current rating: 15A at 120Vac Contact resistance:5mΩ max

Never used them myself so no idea how good they are but another option that I think is popular in the USA, particularly in the ham radio community, is the Anderson Powerpole system.

Here's a link to a US supplier that has a comprehensive set of products: Anderson Powerpoles & Accessories:. Not sure how how easy they are to get hold of in the uk but did find this supplier: Anderson Power Products Distributor, Battery, High Current Connectors, Golf Battery, Electric Golf Trolley, Wheelchair Battery | Torberry Connectors UK

I'm still on the dodgy cigarette sockets. :)

I have salvaged a load of marine plugs, sockets and switches from my boating days, the switches are fused so no problems there. I have seen some photos of some good wiring layouts on here so will be putting something together in a similar vein with a solar tickle charger on top to keep topped up.

Jim

Archived