Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strip / rebuild of EQ3-2

Is there a how to guide anywhere please? My dec in particular is very tight and therefore jerky. I've slackened the central allen bolt and played with the two others to no avail so I think a strip and rebuild will pay dividends. I also build race cars for a hobby do spannering / engineering isn't any problem but a guide would be nice if available. Thanks.

Despite this I got a lovely view of Saturn last night this time with the barlow in play too. Two good viewings in my first week which seems unusually fortuitous compared to some.

Do you ever get used to watching things drift left in your eyepiece when you know they're going right with a similar problem when attempting dec adjustments?

I find it quite a task...example..iv been viewing saturn with a 25 mm EP and its fine but with a higher mag EP like the 10 mm i have objects move from the east to the west and also does so with some speed so am always having to readjust...i suppose a goto system will be quite useful here.

I don't know of a guide, but if your dec is tight, you should tighten the central allen grub screw, not slacken it. Loosen the two outer bolts and tighten the central grub until dec is loose, but not to loose to cause backlash.

HTH

I don't know of a guide, but if your dec is tight, you should tighten the central allen grub screw, not slacken it. Loosen the two outer bolts and tighten the central grub until dec is loose, but not to loose to cause backlash.

HTH

Now I have the correct sequence the principal of the mechanism is obvious. Thanks for that it's worked a treat.

I don't honestly know of any guides. I had excessive play on my RA with my mount a while ago. I did manage to strip it down and put it back together (amazingly without tears or tantrums) and know it's fab. I am not known for my DIY expertise but hey i managed it so you should have no problem!!

Archived