Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn April 24th Good seeing!

Space Cowboy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That will be where I'm going wrong, lol.

Castrator is great isn't it. Love the name too.

Yep never thought I would love that word so much lol Sadly I couldn't castrate any decent seeing from last night. Seems to be 2 different types of bad seeing, wobbly jelly and washing machine.....last night the washing machine was set on spin cycle!

Only positive was Sharpcap worked without crashing lol

Hi Stuart, was going to start another question thread. But thought you might know, what i need to know. Hope you dont mind me asking here. Whats the best setting for gamma do you think. on the spc. i know yours is colour and mine is BW but the settings seem very different to the DMK software. Do i assume the slider set in the middle is 0 and anything below that point is - minus ? where do you think i should be setting the slider ? any help much appreciated

Hi Stuart, was going to start another question thread. But thought you might know, what i need to know. Hope you dont mind me asking here. Whats the best setting for gamma do you think. on the spc. i know yours is colour and mine is BW but the settings seem very different to the DMK software. Do i assume the slider set in the middle is 0 and anything below that point is - minus ? where do you think i should be setting the slider ? any help much appreciated

No problem Neil, I always have the slider set to 0 which is all the way to the left. What capture software are you using?

Ahh Ok, im using k3 ccd tools, but i think the settings are similar on most software that would control a spc. Right if thats the case, then all the way left for jupiter, and a notch up occassionaly for saturn, as i do often add a tiny bit of gamma on saturn. but not jupiter. Cheers again for that info, I was going to try tonight, but transparency was just too bad, so i didnt. First light will have to wait. Saturn will be gone soon. just hoping for a bit more calm to test out the 618 chip in IR

hey Neil just to say, i have generally used gamma on 0 aswell

slider fully to left on all capture programs

and have recently tried slight touch of gamma and reduce gain slightlly to compare

and there wasnt much difference so bit of gamma with Saturn ok i think

i read loads of planetary tutorials aswell that say not to be scared of gamma aswell as it can add dynamic range in darker areas

think Freddy said recently he was using bit as well on Saturn

just my 2c lol

good luck with new chip Neil, thinking of getting one aswell

James

Yes this is all true James, but with a DBK i found jupiter and gamma didnt get on, it produced onion skin, Why im not sure, but i think it was because with jupiter i dont have gain on full like i do saturn with gamma added. that would explain why with saturn it worked, and jupiter it did not, its all in the gain i reckon, lower gain and gamma dont mix i think ??? thats my only explanation i can think of or possibly exposures too thats also relevent maybe ? I dont think its histo strength as saturn is often weak. watch during the week James ill get a image in IR soon i hope

Archived