GOTO won't GO!

Hi, being very new to this game, I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I have a Synscan AZ mount and it's stopped working! Its under warranty as its only 3 weeks old and i've emailed the company but beings its a Bank Holiday weekend I dont expect any response until Tuesday which doesnt help me get my 'fix' :)

It did this before soon after I'd set it up the first day and i just put it down to my 'fiddling' I have changed the batteries but I also have a SKYwatcher powerpack but neither is making it go. when it happened before I just left it and it worked again but I've tried it off and on from time to time all day and still nothing :eek:

I have heard/read reports of these mounts/HC's being somewhat 'dodgy'/tempremental but i dont know what to do get it working. Of course it could be proper dead.

When i say not working the HC doesnt even come on backlight no display what so ever.

Any advice most welcome.

Justin

just the obvious things first before someone comes on with more esoteric knowledge.

Is your power pack fully charged?

2nd and most likely is that sometimes the pin in the power connector on the mount doesn't fit right consequently it doesn't get power, you can try opening the pins very slightly and very gently this will make a better connection hopefully.

Hi rowan, thanks for the quick response. Yup the powerpack is fully charged and saying 'Ready for Use' and yes it switched on too ;-)

When you say 'opening the pins a little' do you mean on the centre pin?

Is there power getting to the hand controller - i e can you enter the time etc. If so, go through the alignment routine - I know you can't move the scope, but if it accepts an "alignment" then try a goto - just trying to rule out the fact that it could be just a faulty handset and not the motors themselves,

Oh well! I'm glad it has fully failed nothing worse than sending an item back with an intermitent fault! On the plus side it made me go out last night and use my 'eyes' caught a few meteors and the ISS.

One thing I discovered by accident, as I had a dicky power lead that came with my scope, is that there is one bundled with the the Skywatcher power pack under a flap in the side. If you've not found that already (I didn't know it was there) it might be useful to locate that and replace it with the power lead that came originally with the scope and see if that helps.

As normal, if all else fails, read the instructions. :)

Simon

Sounds to me like the DC socket. They have micro switches inside that lower the voltage for appliances that have the option of charging. This would explain why it works some times and not others. Maplins sell them for a couple of quid and would only require simple soldering. Will work out cheaper than having to post the mount back to the dealer.

Its a shame you have to send it back but I think you've done the right thing - you've paid good money, so you should at least get something that works properly. Hope you don't have to wait too long for a replacement or miss out on some good skies.

Hope it all works out in the end.

james

Thanks James, I have to say the clouds tonight are not so upsetting as they would normally be :-)

A little irritated that the company wouldn't send a replacement out without recieveing the faulty one back.

I'm hoping to get a call from FLO tomorrow (a proper scope company from what I hear) to talk about my new scope :-D

Archived