Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Powermate design

A TV powermate is not a barlow. It's a telecentric designed extender.

This means it provides the same magnification at almost any distance behind it......this is definately not the case with a barlow lens. Chalk and cheese.

I will have 2x and 3x Meade TX next week and I'll be able to compare it with standard Barlow. And I need them for the constant maginification for planets if I put some extras between it and the camera (like ADC) and to work nicely with bigger sensors on the Moon (and Sun). Hope it will work as planned :)

...`The Meade TeleXtender's are more like a Powermate`

SO this begs the question.....is the powermate worth x2 the price of the meade?....

I owned the 2" 2x Meade TeleXtender for a while. It worked very well for visual use although the 2.5x Tele Vue Powermate showed slightly less light scatter (none that I could detect in fact).

Whether that makes a Powermate worth twice as many £'s is up to each of us to decide of course :)

This means it provides the same magnification at almost any distance behind it.

But not the 5x - strange how Tele Vue made this one not entirely telecentric. When the comparison author writes "Please note the actual maginification of Meade 5x TeleXtender is 4.44x if TeleVue 5x powermate considered to be 5x" - he's got it the wrong way around inasmuch as the Meade is the one that's 5x - the Tele Vue is operating above this.

From my own perspective though, I bought a Tele Vue Powermate (2.5x) last week. I'm stunned by its performance and build quality.

It's a tube of optical perfection and I shall treasure it forever.

From my own perspective though, I bought a Tele Vue Powermate (2.5x) last week. I'm stunned by its performance and build quality.

It's a tube of optical perfection and I shall treasure it forever.

Agreed. I have a 2x Powermate, and the build quality and optics are unmatched by any other Barlow/extender I've ever seen. I also bought the T-adaptor ring for photo work, and use it regularly. Yes, they're expensive, but you do get what you pay for. In the hand, it feels like a very small, very heavy, 5" long refractor. :)

Archived