Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Giant Binos :P

Even though I am a beginner to astronomy I have over the past month or so started to learn and recognize things up in the sky. I have some old binos which are doing ok for quick sweeping across constellations and star hopping but i now want something with a bit of power behind them.

I know im not ready for a telescope and i dont have the money for one yet so i have decided to purchase a large pair of binos, this is where i want your help.

Can anyone recommend any?

I hear good things about 15x70 Revelations and Celestron Skymasters but i am now looking one up at 20x80. Does anyone have any experience with this size? is there much difference between the sizes?

Hope you can help

Mcro

p.s I have tripods and know i will need them for this size binos :)

Hi Mcro. what type of tripod do you have at the moment as big bins can be pretty heavy, the Helios bins I have weigh 3.7 kgs so a strongish tripod and a decent head were essential, they alone were quite expensive.

You are right though, the Celestron 15x70's are a bargain even at the £64.00 I paid for them.

I would think they will be used a great deal :)

Hi there. I have tried both the 15x70's and the 20x80's Revelations and for me the 20x80's are definately worth the extra. I paid £50 for the 15x70's plus £15 for a tripod bracket. There was a problem with the mounting bush on the 15x70's and FLO kindly agreed to refund my money as they had no stock to replace them.

I managed to find some 20x80's in stock else where (shame FLO don't stock them) for £85. These come with a built in Tripod mount so they work out at only £20 more expensive.

I had to send the first pair back as there was too much play in the eyepieces and some debris on the inside of one of the Objectives but the replacment set are great.

The narrower FOV makes it a little harder to find things but the extra light gathering is very useful.

You will need a decent tripod though.

Hi mcro. I don't know how much you're intending to spend is but can recommend the Strathspey 20x90, great value for money, good optics and a great service from the supplier. I think that there are a number of SGL members now picking up on these if they can stretch their budget a little.

Strathspey Binoculars

Cheers

Neil

I have a pair of celestron 20x80 and am very pleased with the views. The moon looks awesome, looking at Saturn for the first time even though it was an oblong shaped disk took my breath away.

Thanks for the replies.

I want to stay under £100 so i think the Strathspey 20x90 will be a no at the moment.

Does anyone know what these makes are like? -

Adler Jupiter 20x80

Konus 20x80

The main thing i need to decide is do i go for Celestron because they have lifetime warranty or do i go for a brand like Revelation for the slightly cheaper price...

Mcro

Hi MCRO

Rather than focus on length of warranty, I'd be sure and test anything you are thinking of buying, before committing. I have a pair of 20 x 100 Revelations and they are great fun. But I turned down more expensive ones after a good test drive, as these ones actually seemed better.

As someone else has mentioned, you'll need a really good tripod. Height is important, sot hat you can get under them properly, rather than straining your back. Good luck.

Archived