NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How many globular clusters can you resolve into stars

Ags

... And what aperture are you using?

I thought this would make a nice comparison of the capabilities of various scopes, as it is fairly independent of light pollution (because you can use high mags on globulars) and also mostly independent of seeing conditions.

For what its worth, I can resolve 2 - M3 and M13 - as well as a couple of maybes, using a 100mm scope.

Personally I feel that globs are affected by LP and seeing conditions.

When it's a lovely dark clear night at home, from memory I can resolve most globs that I look at into individual stars with my 12" dob. I think that the bigger the aperture the more stars you can resolve - obvious I suppose but globs like M13 look spectacular in the 12" and OK in the 6".

I'll make a mental note to check them as I see them and report back to confirm what I can and cannot resolve with my two scopes - they are both out tonight but transparency is again awful. Same as last night but at least the seeing was not too bad with Saturn reasonable to 220x.

Personally I feel that globs are affected by LP and seeing conditions.

I agree Globs like any extended DSO are influenced by LP and seeing cond's.

Although globs are not as affected as diffuse nebulae or Galaxies they are certainly affected.

As for how many are resolved into stars: Do you mean, one can see some stars or completely resolved?

I will have to check my logs before I can answer either way.

Regards Steve

I agree Globs like any extended DSO are influenced by LP and seeing cond's.

Although globs are not as affected as diffuse nebulae or Galaxies they are certainly affected.

As for how many are resolved into stars: Do you mean, one can see some stars or completely resolved?

I will have to check my logs before I can answer either way.

Regards Steve

good point Steve. not sure what Ags meant but I mean I can see almost always some stars although not always / ever to the core.

Ok, I meant that in my experience turbulence does not affect globs so badly - obviously it has some effect and the view is even more affected by transparency and elevation.

By resolved I meant any stars not necesarily fully resolved.

Using the 925 and a 9mm Nagler giving 261x or a 13mm Nagler giving 180x I have seen many stars in M3, M5, M13, M15, M53, M56, M92 as well as some of the others but did not log them.

For me M13 always appears to take the honours with M3 a close second :)

I have to agree with Swampthing and Moonshane. I am by no means an experienced observer but i know that from my own experience M13 was so so one night when i was observing it, and a few nights later it looked so different and this was due to good transparency and good seeing on the same night, in fact it looked so good i was looking at it for 30 mins or more.

Archived