Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Too Hot????

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but as i keep my Scope in the conservatory i'm concerned it may get 'too hot' for the tube in there?? It does get unbearably warm in there so can it actually cause my scope damage??:eek:

Does anyone else let their scope 'live' in a conservatory or anyone else have similiar concerns????

Gaz :)

yeah I have concerns about the heat, mine is usually kept outside in good weather and in a shed when poor. Because my scope is black it is really warm, I've taken the small cap off the end cap to let hot air escape but it's still really hot. Ive got a glass galileo thermometer outside and it reads 30 degrees at the mo, which is nice but is it detrimental to the scope?:) I'm in the same boat as you.

Adamski:glasses1:

In their manuals, Tal state,

"The telescope must be kept in a clean, dry(humidity must not exceed 80%), dust free place with an ambient temperature between +5 and +40 degrees Celsius"

I've had mine in temps way lower than +5, with no ill effects. Never been close to the upper limit.

Andy.

"The telescope must be kept in a clean, dry(humidity must not exceed 80%), dust free place with an ambient temperature between +5 and +40 degrees Celsius"

I've had mine in temps way lower than +5, with no ill effects. Never been close to the upper limit.

Andy.

I feel better now!

Olly

Hi

As far as I am aware optics should be ok as long as they are not in direct sunlight.

More of a concern would be some of the lubricant in the mountings some lubricants become thinner at high temp and could possibly run off bearings or drive components meaning they could run dry.

which could cause excessive wear.

I would check for this periodically during very hot weather.

Always good practice to check any mechanical equipment after adverse hot or cold weather anyway.

Regards Steve

Andy.

Lucky you, mate! In June - September here, the monthly average temp hovers around 38 C, and we routinely head north of 45 on a really hot day. :) That is why I actually made my scope cover with layers of heat-reflective mylar quilted in. Strange as it seems, this really helps a lot with scope heating!

I've found that keeping the scope in an insulated box (2" of open-cell foam on all sides inside the wooden scope case) really helps too. If you want, you can see more about it HERE. The insulated scope bag was easy to make, and I'm sure you could do something similar.

Dan

If Tal suggest a range from +5 to +40, how are you supposed to use the scope in the winter when it's -5 ish?

My scope lives out in a shed so will be between +30 and -10 through the year. As far as I can tell all is well.

Thanks for eveyones input, i feel a little happier about the scope being in the conservatory now and whenever it's in there the end cap is on and so are the caps on the eyepiece and finder.

Wishing you all clear and smog free skies :)

Gaz

Archived