NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn April 13, 2011 - 10:03:42 UTC 3X Barlow & *Animation*

frewi808

(Better seeing.... Oh yes, I remember better seeing... It always occurs when the moon is full or there's a stiff breeze blowing... :(.)

I wish we'd had some seeing in the UK like yours on these... :). It must be our turn soon!

Freddy, as you know from our previous conversations we all have our "druthers" and that is perfectly understandable.....there's no "absolutes" imho, just personal preferences.....and mine apply to everything (including my own images, which is why I quite often repro 'em....!:(:(:()

I like your images above best if I drop the screen scale down to 50%-60% and then click on the images - it really tightens them up quite a lot.....but I know (and think it perfectly valid!) that a lot of folks like the "bigger is better" mantra.....

Same with grain.....when you look at Emil's or Damian's you want to have that detail and smoothness and I keep trying to work towards those goals: I create images with whatever data that can be really smooth but lose a bit of the detail, and vice-versa.

My current repro is a case in point - a really smooth version still looks schmick imho but I managed to catch some really great detail in the storm columns and plumes that, at the same time as wanting to have a "super smoothie" I don't want to lose the incredible detail....!:):p

So I'm getting the VX16 to gather more frames in what I think is a constant quest (and addiction!:)) for "better" images.....but really, I think you have to decide where you want to put the balance in this constant balancing act.....or just present 2 processings of each image..!

As you know, everyone's monitor reveals the image somewhat differently, so it becomes a bit of a "catch 22" anyway.....I go inside the house to look at my wife's screen to see really great Crepe Rings on my images I don't see so well revealed on this one....!:):D

Lovely stuff Freddy.

Just keep doing what you think looks best. The variety in this respect is to me, more interesting than trying to achieve some sort of nebulous similarity to a personal perception of the Hubble shots, or someones eyepiece view.

Archived