Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trouble finding the M101 (Pinwheel galaxy).

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Simms

Simms

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 905 posts
With a bit of clear sky last night I decided to take the scope out and try locating some different objects than the usual suspects that I can see at this time of the year from my backyard (M42, M31, M45 etc), so bearing in mind the area of sky I have to view (not great) and the current level of light pollution (again, not great) I thought the Pinwheel might be a new DSO for me to find. However, I couldnt seem to find it and I wonder, what exactly could I expect to see with a 6" F5 Newt in so-so LP conditions? Am I looking for a slight blur ala M31 or will it be more star-like in a 40mm or 25mm eyepiece? I am pretty sure I was looking in the right area. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Bins
Skywatcher 200PDS Reflector with HEQ5Pro SynScan + Synguider.
Canon 1Dmk3, Canon 5Dmk2, 100-400L IS, 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f2.8L, 85 f1.2L mk2, 50 f1.4

DarkerSky

DarkerSky

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,692 posts
M101 is quite a large faint object with low surface brightness, so can be tricky to pick up in the eyepiece. It is do-able with a 6" in so-so light pollution. If you can get a fix on the location using Stellarium or other star map, use a low power and scan the location for a round-ish slight brightening of the background, best seen by moving your scope slowly back and forth in the spot where you think it is.

Once you've got it keep it in the eyepiece and scan your FOV with your eye. Gradually you'll get to see more detail extending away from the the galaxy's core, with a few faint stars dotted across the galaxy's arms.
Seb Jay - Home Observing Pad: Toddington, Bedfordshire 147masl
16" Meade Lightbridge
12" Orion Optics OD300S
8.5" Astro Systems Newtonian on Alt Az Mount
8" Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian

Simms

Simms

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 905 posts
Thats great, thanks - hopefully I`ll get another chance this weekend to get out and have a look around for it.

How about Bins? should I be able to pick it up with a pair of 15x70 bins - even if just a faint glow?
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Bins
Skywatcher 200PDS Reflector with HEQ5Pro SynScan + Synguider.
Canon 1Dmk3, Canon 5Dmk2, 100-400L IS, 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f2.8L, 85 f1.2L mk2, 50 f1.4

NGC 1502

NGC 1502

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,208 posts
I've always found M101 really tough to see from my light polluted back garden.
Have seen it in an 8" on a moonless transparent night. I was surprised at how
large it appeared. I found it by following a crooked line of stars from Alcor/Mizar
that takes you close to it.

Keep trying ! Ed.

OO 10" F4.8 Dob.

Astro Tech Voyager alt-az, with :- TeleVue Pronto,

Lunt 35 Ha, 90mm Mak + Baader.

Edmund Astroscan

Psalm 19 v1

Nexus 6

Nexus 6

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,316 posts
Hi Simms, M101 is a difficult one due to the reasons already stated, I too had a bit of trouble locating it and when I did manage to observe it I understood why its so elusive :rolleyes:

Edited by Nexus 6, 25 February 2011 - 11:52 PM.

moocher

moocher

Banned User

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,727 posts
I was surprised how easy M101 was to see at Kellling, of course this is a "dark sky" site. Too much magnification and you look straight through it. A nice low power eyepiece in say a 12" dob and its a wonderful object. I don`t stand a cat in hells at home....

Alan:D
The come back begins......Posted Image Going visual.......Posted Image

C8 22 years old and counting...!!!
Altair Astro 60mm apo triplet
Skywatcher 150 mak
Celestron 15x70 Binos
Vixen GPDX SS2K (now guiding!!)

Meade 24.5mm SWA
9mm Type 6 Nagler
13mm Type 6 Nagler
16mm Type 5 Nagler
7mm Burgess TMB
30 mm TMB Paragon

Desperatley want another ccd though!!!

73/110 Messiers imaged/ observed

QHY5
ART 285

8X10 Obsy

mindburner

mindburner

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 753 posts
just been trying to find it on my 12inch dob with a 26mm ep, without success. May need a 40?

Edited by mindburner, 02 March 2011 - 08:34 PM.

SCOPES: Meade 127mm APO refractor, SMC Takumar 200 f4 lens
MOUNT: EQ6 Pro mount on DIY pier
CAMERAS: ATIK 428EX OSC & modded (full spectrum) Canon 1100d, philips 880 webcam, PENTAX K-3

www.mindburner.co.uk

WayBig

WayBig

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,307 posts

just been trying to find it on my 12inch dob with a 26mm ep, without succss. May need a 40?

Or a 16 inch :rolleyes::D:D
Chris
Scopes: Skywatcher 250 flextube auto, Startravel 120
EPs: SW Nirvana 28mm, Explore Scientific 82 14mm & 6.7mm, 5mm paradigm, Tal x2 x3
Messiers:93/110
Herts Astro Group: http://www.hertsastro.org.uk/

NGC 1502

NGC 1502

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,208 posts

just been trying to find it on my 12inch dob with a 26mm ep, without succss. May need a 40?

The problem with using a very low power ep with a fast Dob
under a light polluted sky, is that the view gets very 'washed
out' and the large exit pupil can waste light if it is larger than
your dark adapted pupil.

I do think you stand a better chance with the 26mm. I had lots
of tries to find M101 before finally bagging it.

Good luck ! Ed.

OO 10" F4.8 Dob.

Astro Tech Voyager alt-az, with :- TeleVue Pronto,

Lunt 35 Ha, 90mm Mak + Baader.

Edmund Astroscan

Psalm 19 v1

ollypenrice

ollypenrice

Hyper Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,823 posts
Following this thread I had a look last night in the little 85mm Tak. The soft glowing core was very easy indeed to see, so I think the thing is just to get to a darker site. In the big Dob we can see the spiral arms , though they are faint, and at the end of two of them some outlying patches of bright star forming nebulosity.

I never saw it from the UK though I never tried for a really dark site. The first time I saw it was on holiday in Spain before I moved to France. The core was bright in a 120 achromat I took along.

So darkness beats aperture, I reckon, for this one. Ed is dead right about the exit pupil, too, because a big scope on a low power can exceed what will go into your eye. I have orderred a 26 Nagler for our Dob so as to get a 1 degree field with a smaller exit pupil than we have at the moment. First stop, M101!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice, 28 February 2011 - 11:36 AM.

Run Les Granges Astronomy Holidays, teach and study imaging, SE France. 20" Dob, 10"SCT, TEC140 apo, Takahashi FSQ106. Lunt LS60 solarscope TeleVue Pronto, ZS66, 6 inch achro. Mounts, Takahashi EM200, 2 x EQ6. TeleVue Gibraltar and TelePod. CCD; Atik11000 full frame, Atik 320E, Lodestar, DMK21. Leica bins. Resident here, Yves' ODK14 on Mesu Mount 200. 4 roll offs. www.sunstarfrance.com

Isn't it great that amateurs can get so close to the universe?

Nexus 6

Nexus 6

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,316 posts
yes, as olly has stated, a dark sky site would help in finding so much more in the night sky faint dso's being one group for a start! :)

Edited by Nexus 6, 28 February 2011 - 04:34 PM.

namreg

namreg

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 310 posts
I did this object over the last couple of nights. Spent a couple of hours searching for it just by scanning where it should be and using the correct DEC according to my setting circle. Couldn't find it at all. Then googled "How to find M101" and came up with the image below (Link: M101). I was using a 25mm ep on an 8" newt. The path below is relatively easy to follow (best to print it and turn it upside down if necessary so that you have the same orientation as in your eyepiece). However, having got to where it MUST be, I still couldn't see it! Just the merest ghost of a ghost. Absolutely no chance of seeing it unless you know where it is (in LP skies like mine). So I took a quick 30 second sub, and there it was - just! Second night I went straight to it, but still couldn't see it in the ep!

If you follow the diagram below don't do what I did and mistake the binary MIzar with Mizar and Alcor. In a 25mm ep on an 8" newt, Mizar and Alcor are quite a way apart. To find your first star hop you have to follow the line from Mizar to Alcor.

Look for the pattern of stars that I've circled, and notice the way the line intersects three of those stars. If you can see that, you're home and dry. But don't bank on seeing it in the eyepiece - it's nothing like M33 or even M81.

By the way, in my 15x70 bins, I could see it. Too much magnification blows it away.

Good luck! Let us know if you find it.

Attached Thumbnails

• M101.jpg

Edited by namreg, 28 February 2011 - 09:39 PM.

Doug

BudgetAstro.net

ED80, 200p, EQ5, AstroEQ, Quickcam Pro4000/9x50 finderscope, Canon 500D modded, Nikon D70 modded, D40 unmodded, 18-55 zoom, 55-200 zoom, 15 x 70 Celestron bins, Baader Neodymium filter, wires and stuff that I trip over in the dark.

DarkerSky

DarkerSky

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,692 posts

In the big Dob we can see the spiral arms , though they are faint, and at the end of two of them some outlying patches of bright star forming nebulosity.

Olly

Saw two of the brighter knots on sat night. Quite breathtaking the first time you make them out, that's for sure :)
Seb Jay - Home Observing Pad: Toddington, Bedfordshire 147masl
16" Meade Lightbridge
12" Orion Optics OD300S
8.5" Astro Systems Newtonian on Alt Az Mount
8" Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian

Vega

Vega

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,473 posts
I know exactly where the thing is but to date never seen it through an eyepeice in my 10". I've imaged it though :)

Skywatcher 120 / ED80 Refractors, EQ3.2 Mount
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
Bresser 70/700 Refractor (guide scope) & ToUcam Pro II
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon 1000D (Modded)
Mars 2014 webpage

mindburner

mindburner

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 753 posts
you guys are great, some super advice. I will have a go this weekend with the great little star guide. Skies tonight are just a bit to orange

SCOPES: Meade 127mm APO refractor, SMC Takumar 200 f4 lens
MOUNT: EQ6 Pro mount on DIY pier
CAMERAS: ATIK 428EX OSC & modded (full spectrum) Canon 1100d, philips 880 webcam, PENTAX K-3

www.mindburner.co.uk

bluemarkus

bluemarkus

Nebula

• Members
  • 54 posts
I am located in a village near Karlsruhe, Germany, and can only parrot what others have said before me. i´ve been observing the late winter sky now for a couple days in a 10inch DOB and M51 and M101 were particularly hard to find. M51 seems to be placed at the wrong position in stellarium, in the actual sky it appears slightly lower. and M101 i can only see as a weak spot slightly brighter than the background, due to the problem mentioned by other posters before. it has a good magnitude, but is just too big so the light is spread out across the galaxy and the core isnt very bright either.
10inch GSO Dobson / 20x80 bino /70*700 newton-->galaxy bob
-----------------------------
25 & 10 superplössls / 4mm plössl / 26 SWA Kellner / 8mm baader Hyperion+FTR / simple 3x barlow / toUcam SC1 / homemade EQ-platform
-----------------------------
Messier List 39 of 110

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 15,792 posts
I have found the core of M101 in 15x70 bins on an extremely transparent night, even with some LP around (when the sky is very transparent, this is not as big a deal, because there are few scatterers about). In a dark site (outside Dienville in France) it was easy in the bins, though it is much fainter than many other galaxies when it comes to surface brightness. Under slight LP it can be hard in a C8.
Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)
EPs: Pentax XW 7mm,
XF 8.5mm, and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, MaxVision 20mm 68°, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter
Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.
Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, Herschel: 302/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 11, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

Vega

Vega

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,473 posts
With a 10" Reflector, M101 has eluded me for years! Far too diffuse for my location. Have managed to image it quite well, so at least I know im looking in the right place!

Matt

Edited by Vega, 07 March 2011 - 04:39 PM.

Skywatcher 120 / ED80 Refractors, EQ3.2 Mount
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
Bresser 70/700 Refractor (guide scope) & ToUcam Pro II
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon 1000D (Modded)
Mars 2014 webpage

michael.h.f.wilkinson

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Hyper Giant

• Moderators
  • 15,792 posts
I got M101 yesterday from a fairly dark location in my C8 and it was stunning. A big finder helps locating the right spot (star-hopping from Mizar, as in the image of Doug (Namreg)), but even in my 16x70 finder I could not see the object. However, in the 1.38 deg FOV of my Paragon it was easily spotted as a large nebula with not very prominent core, and clear indications of spiral structure. At 90x magnification in the Nagler 22mm the spiral structure was even more pronounced, against a darker background. From the suburbs in Groningen this is a much harder object.
Scopes: Celestron GP-C8, APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO, Lunt LS35THa B1200, SkyWatcher ST80, home-brew Alt-Az mount, 4.5" F/4.3 MiniDOB (for the kids)
EPs: Pentax XW 7mm,
XF 8.5mm, and XW 10mm, Televue Delos 8mm, Naglers 12 mm,17mm, and 22mm T4, and 31mm T5, Vixen LVW 42mm, MaxVision 20mm 68°, 2x MaxVision 24mm 68°, Denkmeier filter-switch star diagonal with O-III, H-beta, UHC and moon filter
Imaging stuff: Meade S5K TeleXtender 2x and 3x, TeleVue PowerMate 2.5x, ZW-Optical ASI130MM and ASI120MC, The Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS, Brightstar filter wheel, LRGB+IR filter set, modded Canon EOS 450D.
Bins: Helios Apollo 15x70 HD, TS 15x70 (repaired, for kids), Bresser 10x50, home-made P-mount Mk-III

Observation summary: Messier: 110/110, Caldwell: 97/109, Herschel: 302/400, Brightest Planetaries: 60/100, Planets: Mercury to Neptune (inclusive), Minor planets: 2, Lunar: 55/100, Comets: 11, Supernovas: 9, Novas: 1, Quasars: 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users