Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to buy an Orion skyquest xt8 classic in the UK?

Hi guys,

First post and all that :) My hubby and I have done the leg work and we're going to take the plunge and buy the long waited for first scope.

We have our hearts set on the Orion skyquest xt8 classic, but can't seem to find it for sale in the uk.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Westy :D

Welcome!

I can find the Intelliscope version at SCS Astro:

Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope. - SCS Astro

You say you want it without the inteliscope. You could call SCS and ask if they can source the classic. I bet they can. There's one comment I have, however. I've used the 8" classic and found the motions had a lot of breaking friction, which made it rather a battle to use. The inteliscope version seems to have the same altitude bearings as my XX12i and I'm quite happy with these. They're smooth and they're easily adjustable. I don't know what the azimuth bearing is like on the 8" inteliscope but those on the XX12 are pretty good. Even if you don't want the inteliscope (I hardly use mine) it may be worth paying extra for the nicer bearings. Regardless, both the classic and the inteliscope would be great choices for a first scope and there are fairly cheap things you can do to fix poor quality bearings.

Other than that its amazing piece of kit and looking at it in the flesh you wouldnt have thought they could make it and import it for the money you pay for one... there is a shortage of some lines of scope at the moment as well I was relaibly told recently.

I have been using my O?rion XT10i for over a year now, the base is laminated chip board and often gets covered in dew and when not in use it lives in my garden shed. The base is showing no signs of wear at all the laminate is doing it's job perfectly.

As Rowan46 said the XT8 classic is the same scope as the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p but quite a bit cheaper, any extra bits and pieces such as barlows or ep's would not make me buy the XT8 classic over the Skywatcher.

I wish I had bought the Orion US version now at it has a Metal base and the Skywatcher has a chipboard/MDF base which i am worried might rot if places on wet grass or in damp conditions.

You maybe thinking of the Orion Optics dob which uses a metal base. The Orion XT8 uses the same base materials as the Skywatcher.

Based on price there is very little reason to choose the Orion XT8, unless you prefer the colour. Orion need to find a way to reduce their import costs to make them more competitive.

You maybe thinking of the Orion Optics dob which uses a metal base. The Orion XT8 uses the same base materials as the Skywatcher.

Based on price there is very little reason to choose the Orion XT8, unless you prefer the colour. Orion need to find a way to reduce their import costs to make them more competitive.

Oh right my mistake sorry.

Archived