Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where to buy an Orion skyquest xt8 classic in the UK?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Westy

Westy

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 7 posts
Hi guys,

First post and all that :) My hubby and I have done the leg work and we're going to take the plunge and buy the long waited for first scope.

We have our hearts set on the Orion skyquest xt8 classic, but can't seem to find it for sale in the uk.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Westy :D

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts
SCS Astro will sell you the Orion XT8. It doesn't appear on their website but they will bring in anything that is sold by Orion in the US.

Lovely scope btw, i had the XT10. :)

Edited by russ, 15 January 2011 - 11:04 PM.

rowan46

rowan46

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,858 posts
this is essentially the same scope made by the same manufacturer orion is an american trade name of synta who also make skywatcher and celestron Homepage - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian
by the way welcome to sgl

Edited by rowan46, 15 January 2011 - 11:12 PM.

TS 80/480 triplet, Technosky eLLe alt /az mount
maxvision 24 uwa, delos 12, pentax xw 7, ES 4.7 82 degrees

Cullman Titan tripod

umadog

umadog

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,670 posts
Welcome!

I can find the Intelliscope version at SCS Astro:
Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope. - SCS Astro

You say you want it without the inteliscope. You could call SCS and ask if they can source the classic. I bet they can. There's one comment I have, however. I've used the 8" classic and found the motions had a lot of breaking friction, which made it rather a battle to use. The inteliscope version seems to have the same altitude bearings as my XX12i and I'm quite happy with these. They're smooth and they're easily adjustable. I don't know what the azimuth bearing is like on the 8" inteliscope but those on the XX12 are pretty good. Even if you don't want the inteliscope (I hardly use mine) it may be worth paying extra for the nicer bearings. Regardless, both the classic and the inteliscope would be great choices for a first scope and there are fairly cheap things you can do to fix poor quality bearings.

Edited by umadog, 15 January 2011 - 11:16 PM.

9" DIY job, Sumerian 10", Webster 18", Lunt LS60/PT
M:109/109, C:72/109, H400:154/400, Mercury->Pluto

Lurker

Lurker

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 377 posts
I bought mine XT8 classic from www.telescopehouse.com but doesn't look like they stock it now.

Edited by Lurker, 16 January 2011 - 02:26 AM.

Scope - Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian F/6
EyePiece - Sirius Plossl 25mm
Barlow - Orion Shorty 2x
Webcams
- Unmodded SPC880NC and SPC8800NC Long Ex & Amp Off Cooling Modded.
Seen - The Moon, Jupiter, Beehive Cluster, The Great Orion Nebula, Saturn.

Deaf with Cochlear Implant.

lexyastroman

lexyastroman

Nebula

• Members
  • 72 posts
Here's a link for the xt8 classic in the uk

Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic - SCS Astro

Yeoman

Yeoman

Nebula

• Members
  • 61 posts
I wish I had bought the Orion US version now at it has a Metal base and the Skywatcher has a chipboard/MDF base which i am worried might rot if places on wet grass or in damp conditions.

Yeoman

Yeoman

Nebula

• Members
  • 61 posts
Other than that its amazing piece of kit and looking at it in the flesh you wouldnt have thought they could make it and import it for the money you pay for one... there is a shortage of some lines of scope at the moment as well I was relaibly told recently.

dar

dar

Nebula

• New Members
  • 13 posts
On line Telescopes.com under Orion.You should be able to order it .They carry all Orion products .

Chris H

Chris H

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,470 posts
I have been using my O?rion XT10i for over a year now, the base is laminated chip board and often gets covered in dew and when not in use it lives in my garden shed. The base is showing no signs of wear at all the laminate is doing it's job perfectly.

As Rowan46 said the XT8 classic is the same scope as the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p but quite a bit cheaper, any extra bits and pieces such as barlows or ep's would not make me buy the XT8 classic over the Skywatcher.

Chris

Orion (USA) XT10i F4.7 Dobsonian
William Optics FLT98 CF F6.3 APO refractor
Vixen Porta II
Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm
Televue 17mm Ethos, Nagler 12T4, 8mm Ethos
Pentax 5mm XW
Televue 2x BIG Barlow
Opticron imagic 10x50

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts

I wish I had bought the Orion US version now at it has a Metal base and the Skywatcher has a chipboard/MDF base which i am worried might rot if places on wet grass or in damp conditions.

You maybe thinking of the Orion Optics dob which uses a metal base. The Orion XT8 uses the same base materials as the Skywatcher.

Based on price there is very little reason to choose the Orion XT8, unless you prefer the colour. Orion need to find a way to reduce their import costs to make them more competitive.

Yeoman

Yeoman

Nebula

• Members
  • 61 posts

You maybe thinking of the Orion Optics dob which uses a metal base. The Orion XT8 uses the same base materials as the Skywatcher.

Based on price there is very little reason to choose the Orion XT8, unless you prefer the colour. Orion need to find a way to reduce their import costs to make them more competitive.

Oh right my mistake sorry.

RikM

RikM

Many Sequins

• Moderators
  • 6,940 posts
How come the Skyliner dobs are not available in the UK in Black Diamond finish? Skywatcher do make them like that, and I think they look much nicer, but you can't get them here. ;)

Rik
Rik
Skyliner 250PX; Explorer 150P; Televue Pronto; ST80; ES68°; Televue; Pentax XW; NEQ6 Pro; EQ3-2; AZ4; SXV-H9; QHY5; Canon 1000D: Sketches Deep Sky Images
Member of Cotswold AS "No anchovies unless otherwise specified. If conditions persist, consult your physician."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users