Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Autumn Ha Objects?

Astrosurf

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one I did last night.  Unfortunately this pic only contains 3 subs (1 40 min and 2 20min),   I did it at the end of the night before the trees got in the way.   I think I would like to go for it for real (8-9 hours worth).  Of only I new how to process these things!!!

post-48074-0-85264800-1448480286_thumb.j

Here's another one I did last night.  Unfortunately this pic only contains 3 subs (1 40 min and 2 20min),   I did it at the end of the night before the trees got in the way.   I think I would like to go for it for real (8-9 hours worth).  Of only I new how to process these things!!!

That's a cracking image. Always liked the idea of green nebulae. Alas they're all blue/red. (green's my fav colour)

I used a Televue np101is, Astrophysics mach 1 mount, SBIG STT 8300 camera with self guiding filter wheel and Baader Ha, OIII, and SIII filters (don't know the specific wavelengths--they came with the camera pro package).  Lately people keep asking me "Is that the real color? or is it because of the filters?"  That question always deflates my excitement somewhat.  What's real?

I used a Televue np101is, Astrophysics mach 1 mount, SBIG STT 8300 camera with self guiding filter wheel and Baader Ha, OIII, and SIII filters (don't know the specific wavelengths--they came with the camera pro package).  Lately people keep asking me "Is that the real color? or is it because of the filters?"  That question always deflates my excitement somewhat.  What's real?

If anything, it's just a different perspective of the nebula. Showing chemical composition as opposed to what we would normally see with our eyes (provided it were brighter)

Off topic, but I'd really like to know how you did the processing. I found HaRGB processing almost impossible, in Photoshop, so am fascinated how people manage to process images from multiple filters!

Well--my processing ability is pretty basic.  Believe it or not, but CCDops that came with the SBIG camera has a RGB combine function.  Nebulosity and PixinSight have it too, but I have not learned to use it as well.  My understanding is people usually combine the colors before moving to Photoshop--but I don't have photoshop so I don't really know.  All you do is call that up and assign an SII exposure to the red channel, an Ha to the green channel, and an OIII exposure to the Blue channel (Hubble Pallet--there are others but this is the most common).  In CCDops you have the ability to zoom in on a star and align the colors by moving the various exposures up down, left right until they are aligned.  Then you zoom out and see the combined pic.  Then you can play with power stretch and all that stuff.  I am sure that those whom know how to really process would tell you that each pic should be pre-processed prior to combination (darks, flats, biases, normalized etc).  But in Nebulosity the combined picture starts off very dark--making me think that it did not work right--but from what I understand, this is normal and the pic will materialize upon stretches and continued processing.  I just got the PixinSight guidance videos today and will hopefully learn how to do it right.  

Good luck

Thanks Rodd! I feel a great sense of achievement when I succeed in PS but it's such a hard slog and I have little time and energy, or the ability. I use StarTools for my Ha with tweaks in PS and it's so much better and miles quicker. I would love a go at Pixinsight but it's too expensive.

Archived